Jobseekers allowance

M

I'm currently enrolled on a full-time Masters course that's due to end in September, which is when I hand in my dissertation. I recently had to brave the hell that is my local job centre because my partner is applying for JSA and, because we live together, it had to be done in the form of a joint claim. I assumed that I'd receive a student exemption because, well, I am a full-time student, and that from then on the claim would be pretty much handled as if my partner were the only claimant.

Having provided the jobcentre with a council tax exemption form stating that my course was full-time until September, I received the reply that I wasn't actually eligible for student exemption. According to the person I spoke to, the decision-makers at the jobcentre had 'looked at the term dates on the internet', decided that I had provided them with inaccurate/misleading information and denied my exemption. I then gave them another (more recently dated) letter from my faculty specifically explaining that I am actually officially still a student, and confirming that my course ended in September. I've just heard back from the jobcentre that this second letter also failed to convince whatever shadowy panel they've got stashed in the attic.

I've now got to go in to register for jobseekers if my partner has any chance of getting his claim through. I have a lot of work to do to get my dissertation done and so I have absolutely no intention of getting a full-time job - I already have a part-time job but there's no way that both of us can survive on my wages alone - but I don't see what other evidence I can provide to the cretins at the jobcentre that will convince them that I'm a student.

Sorry for the long post, but I've been dealing with these people all day and my brain has turned to goo. Surely this isn't such an uncommon situation that the jobcentre don't actually have an official policy on full-time independent study? I've tried going in and asking about my options, but I just get fobbed off and never manage to speak to the same person twice. Anyone got any advice/had a similar experience? Help!

J

Have you thought of citizen's advice - they can sometimes help you negotiate the minefield that is government. Or your MP? Or maybe there is a phone number to a central helpdesk who might be able to help.

I don't think you can register for job seekers allowance if you are working part-time.

P

======= Date Modified 01 Jul 2010 20:44:45 =======
Citizen Advice should be able to help. Maybe your post grad school too? They might have had to deal with this before. Mine for example are well aware of the state of the local council and gave me stacks of my exemption form because they knew the first one would be ignored, and the second wouldn't ever get sent back etc. Not that it mattered, even when they did accept the form and log it I got sent a court summons eventually for not paying it (on a day I was meant to have work presented at a conference no less!).

I can't think what other evidence they would need aside from your exemption and official course dates. It sounds like they're just being clueless in regards to post grad student status. Did you get an official reason as to why it was rejected the second time?

I wouldn't go in an register for jobseekers because as Jepsonclough says if you're already working part-time you shouldn't be able to. Best case scenario they won't let you and you waste a day, worst they'll assume you're attempting to defraud them.

Are you keeping a note of dates/times of all correspondance and with whom? If the faffing about does cause a delay in your partner's claim then if you need to make a complaint later it will help (especially if you end up with any unexpected costs and charges).

You have my sympathy Mabel, these people would give anyone a breakdown, they never know anything, or have any real rules, so they just make life as difficult as possible for people at all points. Lord only knows how 'benefit cheats' if they do exist at all manage it: they must be geniuses.

All I can do is echo the advice to contact CAB, but often the benefits agency have small print in their policies that, effectively, give them carte-blanche to do what they want. But CAB will help you navigate that and make the most of it - if you can get an appointment.

Also, I think the people at the top of benefits who write the small print etc are very clever indeed, and have managed to give themselves an all powerful and unnaccountable position, hence they chaos and nonesense, in which the 'customer' will always lose.

Good luck!

D

I don't think you can register for job seekers allowance if you are working part-time.

I think you can but it depends on how many hours per week you work. It's usually more hassle than it's worth, in my opinion. It's a horrible system.

J

Maximum 16 hours working a week but as you are not looking for work it is probably fraud if you do claim it - just not worth it.

P

Quote From jepsonclough:

Maximum 16 hours working a week but as you are not looking for work it is probably fraud if you do claim it - just not worth it.

Another thing I was wondering (hi-jacking the post a little) but are you even eligible for job seekers if you're a full time student? You're not as an undergrad I'm sure, and I always assumed the same was true at post grad. Linked with what you're saying about not looking for work I guess.

S

i don't think you can register for job seekers allowance if you are a full time student as you aren't looking for work. As for the misleading info relating to your course dates, that is just crazy, but totally what would be expected when dealing with them! They will have on their books that 'students' finish their courses in the summer, not in Sept, therefore you're lying, and so is your uni - beside the fact that every MA student I've known finishes in Sept!!! I would certainly contact CAB and also it would be worth emailing your MP - they are very easy to get hold of - if this is how they are treating MA claims then its wrong, they are wrong clearly and it needs to be sorted and fast!

B

Mabel - you have to be a Part-time student and meant to be looking for work, in theory at least. I don't know the situation in your part of the globe, but if working part-time it is possible to get Jobseekers and maintain the part-time work to ensure that you have a constant cash flow.

Yeah it is frustrating dealing with these situations but you have got to keep a track of everything and I know its soul-destroying when you have to nearly apologise for someone else's mistake, but keep in there. Keep a record of all transactions and dates and extend this to include ALL jobs applied for when you are applying (would assume that you will be applying for part-time work at some stage).

I would look at the notion of going part-time and how this would affect your day to day dealings with the college (in reality, it wont). Once you go part-time and show proof that you are no longer on a stipend and need work, they will treat you differently. Also, as there might be a wait, there maybe an officer in the Social Welfare to help you out financially in the interim (In Ireland, it is known as a Community Welfare Officer and is affilated to the Health Service). I am in a similar situation as yourself and they have really kept the wolf from the door. They listen to your case and usually give you a hand financially. Any money given is then taken from your Jobseekers when that is granted.

Here's one point as well ... do you necessarily need to apply with your partner? Just cos you live together, do ye need to be officially seen as a couple and not as two people who just happen to be renting the same place ... I know, I know, not romantic, but only a suggestion.