Looking for a research idea for given project

Z

Hi

This is my first year studying computer science(Studied business for my bachelors). I'm starting with my masters project and have absolutely no idea for a research question :-(. I have chosen one of the projects suggested by a lecturer at my university but he hasn't posed any question. Below is the project summary. Can someone please help me find a question?

Project Summary

Write an online lecturer appointment system for project students. In this, in a calendar view the lecturer will choose times of availability, and length of consultations. The system will then become "bookable" by students. As an advanced objective, the resulting feed should then be capable of being viewed in popular calendaring systems such as google calendar or microsoft outlook. This will involve writing a web application in aspx/jsp/php and evaluating the usability of the system.

Regards,
Zenia

Z

Please help me :(

C

I think you should talk to the lecturer who set the project and discuss with them what the question(s) should be. Perhaps they want you to do reading around the subject and come up with your own questions?

I'm not a computer scientist so I can't help any further, sorry!

H

There are a couple of different approaches you could take but first question to help us help you is: what is your deadline? How long to do you have allocated for this project. Because that will determine what kind of question you can realistically address.

Z

Quote From hazyjane:

There are a couple of different approaches you could take but first question to help us help you is: what is your deadline? How long to do you have allocated for this project. Because that will determine what kind of question you can realistically address.

Deadline is mid-september. We've been given almost 3 months for this project.

Z

Quote From Caro:

I think you should talk to the lecturer who set the project and discuss with them what the question(s) should be. Perhaps they want you to do reading around the subject and come up with your own questions?

I'm not a computer scientist so I can't help any further, sorry!

Any help is appreciated. The lecturer who suggested this project is not taking any projects this semester. Yes they want us to come up with our own questions and believe me I tried. It's been a month since this project has started and still I haven't been able to come up with anything. I feel this is because I've not been in this field long enough. 6 months in computer science after 5 years in business, I don't think my knowledge is deep enough in this field to question practices but if someone poses a question the least I can do is atleast try to answer it. What do you think?

F

======= Date Modified 28 Nov 2011 09:36:56 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--SPAM--