MA Bursarsy Letter

P

Hi,

I have an offer from York Univeristy to study on one their sociology MA courses. They have a number of bursaries on offer (£1,000) which can be taken as a fee-waiver.

In order to be considered for a bursary I need to write a letter 'outlining my case for an award'. 'In this letter [they] would like me to explain how the degree will help in my future'.

I'm guessing it's not enough to say.. I have £12,000 worth of student debt, no income for my MA year as I am doing the MA full time, no real way of being able to pay for food, clothes or rent and no real chance of winning any huge amounts of money before October, so I need all the help I can get!

So, what the hell do I say? This letter isn't meant to be any shorter than 300 words, but I'm struggling to fill that! I was wondering whether anyone else has had to do a letter like this? And, if so, what did you write?

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

P

It's rather concerning that you don't seem to know what to do here.
I'd follow the standard format I'd use for any grant applications....
What's special about your planned research and its research context (think dissertation)?
Why York?
What do you intend to do afterwards and where does this fit into your plans?
Such awards tend not to be means tested so there's bugger all point mentioning your existing student debt (join the club...)
x

P

I know there's no point talking about the student debt or my general poorness, but if I wasn't poor I wouldn't bother my arse applying for the bursary and that is really the only reason that I want it!

P

But please don't be 'concerned' for me.

P

Sorry that was harsh, it's just that these things are pretty standard, perhaps people could be more constructive if you try to write a plan of what to say and post it up. that way it's easier to make suggestions....