Masters grades: what are they looking for?

S

I just wanted to know if anybody knows how important the actual marks you get for your masters, as in most institutions you can only fail, pass or get a distinction. So if you dont get a distinction and pass how much do your actual marks matter.
Thanks

E

I was wondering the same thing. When I begun mt masters one of my tutors told me that it does'nt really matter what you get, but when I was filling out an application form the other day they asked for the grade (?)

I think its only important if you know that its relevant for the next step that you're headed towards. Is it very competitive, is there a cut off point, is the institution or work place you're looking at really mindful of that stuff?

To be honest with you, I think most of these places look at a lot more than a person just having a masters and the grade attached- it's the over package that you have to offer, so I would'nt put too much emphasis on this alone

M

Some dont get graded AFAIK... My MRes doesnt get graded. Im getting consistent 65s and apparently thats a Merit, so I assume 70+ must be Distinction.

S

Thanx guys

V

Doing well will always look better than just passing, whether it's required or not.

G

I did my Masters in University College Dublin I graduated last December. We were graded the same as undergraduates. 1st, 2.1, 2.2 ect.