Medical doctor interested in an MBA.

D

I am a medical doctor and indeed studied medicine due to intense parental pressure. My desire has always been to run my own business.

Is there an MBA programme that would take me with my bachelor degree in medicine and 2 years experience running my own little business in advertising?:$

M

Hello there
great decision to do an MBA degree

M

======= Date Modified 16 Jan 2009 15:00:07 =======
Hi Cindy,

Some MBAs will take you on without work experience, but inevitably they won't be the very good MBAs. You could always look at doing an MSc in Management...often these are more tailored to a small start-up business, rather than the MBAs that seem to focus on working in large companies or MNEs.

E

======= Date Modified 03 Aug 2009 09:10:53 =======
Look at really why you want the MBA. In some cases you may have already the skills, drive and motivation to do what you want without an MBA. An MBA is not a cure-all for people wanting to start their own business and I would suggest before you take the plunge you consider reading all you can about business...as you may find that an MBA does not really help you that much.

Try reading some of the books on starting up your business that you can buy on amazon.

http://www.emba.co.uk
emba.co.uk

M

Brave Descision, yet many poeple are changing careers, even a major vocational one like yours.

Henley offer a very good and above all pragmatic MBA, many attendees are from corporates but there are many from Small and Medium businesses. And the major conclusion we took out of the MBA before starting our business was that it doesn't matter if its a car company, a chocolate, a macdonalds, a biotec, a trucing company etc its all the same under the bonnet. Business is Business with Sales at the top line and your net net net profit at the botom, so an MBA is designed for big corporates but suites small businesses just fine.

Good luck,

MbaBible.com Team

M

======= Date Modified 01 Dec 2010 08:33:15 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
-inappropriate content-

R

Hi DrCindy,

Several doctors decide to do an MBA after having practiced for many years, so don't feel like you're an exception!

I work for a magazine online about business schools and MBA students around the world. We recently published a story about this. We interviewed three different doctors who decide to acquire managerial skills for different reasons. One of them wanted to move into management consulting (!).

I thought you may find it interesting and inspiring!

http://www.businessbecause.com/business-school-news/why-doctors-need-an-mba.htm