Most important factors for funding

J

======= Date Modified 09 08 2009 19:08:17 =======
======= Date Modified 09 07 2009 19:07:53 =======
Hi

I was just wondering what people though the most important factors for funding where, I will have a go and hopefully spark some debate:-) Have a go at the poll!!!!!

1. Degree Result
2. References
3. Personal Statement

I'm sure I am missing something here but if I remember I will edit later8-)

M

I put "other" as you are missing 'research proposal'.

J

Sorry yeah I forgot, I applyind for taught course so doesnt really apply?

its who you know

J

======= Date Modified 09 Mar 2009 21:38:43 =======
Well sneaks, thats one (rather cynical!!!) way of looking at it

S

No, Sneaks is right. I know that my initial supervisor supported my PhD application because my MA supervisor was the internal examiner at her viva...

M

Yep Sneaks is right. I got my PhD funding because I met my supervisor during a masters course, and got to speak to him about research.

Funding for masters is more about grades though...I misread the question and thought it was about PhDs, not masters.

I think its more so for PhD - I don't know anyone who has got a PhD through just applying, the have all been encouraged by supervisors/lecturers to apply. Others have been interviewed, but it was a mere formality.

In terms of Masters - I think less so, but you are more likely to get funding if you know the lecturers e.g. you went there for undergrad, or your undergrad lecturers know your Masters lecturers. It is definately about who you know!

S

i may be a rare case, but i had been away from uni for 2 years when i decided i wanted to do a phd, and i applied to a uni i had never been to, for a project supervised by people i had never met, and i got a funded place, so it can be done!

P

Would agree with smoobles, true my phd is with my MSc sup, but all my other offers were from people I didn't know and in four cases from a continent I;d never been to :-) (and funded, and all good places!)

V

Yeah, research proposal can be key.

R

Aw just saw this for the first time and it has ended! But just out of interest, with my research funding there was 30% of the 'marks' they gave you for Personal Statement so it was very important! 30% for academic record, 30% for letters of recommendation and only 10% for project proposal!!! They are obviously funding the person rather than the project in that case...