MRes Crops for Future

T

I have successfully admitted to University of Dundee in MRes Crops For Future for 2009/10. I have masters degree in botany and came here to UK with a wish to go PhD. But unfortunately, still could not find any place. So should I go for this MRes programme instead of trying directly for PhD.

Core modules of Course are:

Basic Concepts in Molecular, Genomics and Bioinformatics - basic molecular biology, plant and pathogen genomics, bioinformatics, GM technology
Crop Evolution and Biodiversity - crop and plant biodiversity, molecular taxonomy and comparative genomics, plant biodiversity of native and endangered species for conservation purposes, ecological impacts of GM plants Soils, Roots and Environmental Microbiology - soil structure, texture and mechanical properties, root structure, function and physical interactions with soil, soil fluids and water uptake by roots, environmental microbiology Plant-Environment Interactions - nutrient capture and utilisation, crop physiology and modelling, control methods, trophic interactions Pests and Pathogen Biology - plant pathogen interactions, novel resistance strategies, diagnostics, epidemiology and the ecology of disease Crop Improvement and Biotechnology - plant breeding, GM strategies, marker aided selection, biotechnology and breeding for quality traits.

looking for your positive suggestions and guidance

S

Hi Touchstone

You don't mention where you are originally from or why exactly you have not been successful in finding a PhD place (it would be helpful if we knew this)

T

I am originally from Pakistan. My interest is in plant molecular genetics and most of the time supervisor reply me that you need to have sufficient training before going to PhD in that field. but now I just have a wish, If I could find any PhD oppotunity relevant to my prior degree( Botany) where my major course contents were:

1:CELL STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION I & II.
2: PLANT ECOLOGY
3: GENERAL PLANT PATHOLOGY
4: ELEMENTS OF STATISTICS AND BIOMETRY
5: COMPARATIVE MORPHOLOGY OF VASCULAR PLANTS
6: GERMPLASM RESOURCES IN PLANTS
7: EXPERIMENTAL STATISTICS
8: INTRODUCTION TO BIOCHEMISTRY
9: GENERAL CYTOLOGY
10: COMPARATIVE MORPHOLOGY OF NON-VASCULAR PLANTS
11: PLANT EMBRYOLOGY
12: GENERAL GENETICS
13: ADVANCED SYSTEMETICS
14: GENERAL EXPERIMENTAL ANATOMY

MSc. THESIS TITLE:

DROUGHT RESISTANCE OF WHEAT GERMPLASM COLLECTED FROM SOME ARID REGIONS OF BALUCHISTAN AND PUNJAB