Need advice

R

I have a B. sc in Geology with a CGPA not up to 3.0 which means a second class lower, also, currently employed in the downstream sector of the Petroleum Industry. I intend going for MSc in Supply Chain Management in the Uk. I need an advice concerning my academic background and my MSc course of Intent. will i be admitted with such a CGPA ? Will my choice of course pose any hindrance because of my first degree?

T

Best advice I would be able to give you would be to contact the admin department of the university you wish to apply for and see what they say. Good luck (up)

P

Rowlands, i'm pretty optimistic u will be accepted to d M.Sc programme u want. I say this because there's a friend of mine who currently doing his M.Sc in Supply Chain Mgt. @ RGU. His bachelors degree was in Public Administration {2:2}. There's every possibility u will be accepted, esp. if u give a strong worded motivation/personal statement..

Best of Luck!

M

Cynical me says assuming you're an international student, the vast majority of uni's (including most top ones), will be happy to have you despite the 2.2.

C

Why UK? Have you considered Australia? I've heard www.gradschool.com.au is v good at online courses (part of University of Newcastle) and might not be so snooty as UK unis?

S

Most unis would be happy to take your money in exchange for a MSc.

M

i also tend to the opinion of the majority here.
if you are an EU-student it will be difficult to get a place, if you are a non-EU student, you will get a place at nearly any university! every international student is seen as a money cow that can be milked! and they will certainly not let you fail, another advantage.
There is actually quite a discussion in the UK, about some universities accepting international students no matter what, because of the money issue! Make sure to pick a university that doesn't have a reputation for doing that, otherwise you can end up in a course where a not small number of people hardly speak any English!

P

Quote From monkey:

i also tend to the opinion of the majority here.
if you are an EU-student it will be difficult to get a place, if you are a non-EU student, you will get a place at nearly any university! every international student is seen as a money cow that can be milked! and they will certainly not let you fail, another advantage.
There is actually quite a discussion in the UK, about some universities accepting international students no matter what, because of the money issue! Make sure to pick a university that doesn't have a reputation for doing that, otherwise you can end up in a course where a not small number of people hardly speak any English!

Monkey, out of curiosity, what's wrong if in a programme a substantial number of people do not speak any English?

J

I would think communication may be hindered somewhat...

M

Quote From phdbug:

Monkey, out of curiosity, what's wrong if in a programme a substantial number of people do not speak any English?

e.g. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7461513.stm
(the comments on that page are particularly enlightening ....)

E

Hi Rowlands!

Fell free to contact me for any academic advice.

mailto:[email protected]