Newcastle vs Aberdeen

A

Hello All,

My name is Anirudh and I have received 2 offers, one each from Newcastle University and Aberdeen University.

Details:

University: Newcastle
Program: MSc Clean Technology

University: Aberdeen
Program: MSc Renewable Energy Engineering

I am very much passionate about the subject and I think I have no problems with the curriculum of both the programs. So I need help with the university profiles:

1. International Outlook (which gives better chances of PhD in UK/EU/US?)
2. Employbility (Prefereably for the specific program if available)
3. Which location has more access to renewable energy companies?
4. Which is cheaper to live?

Thank you

C

Hello! I can't comment on the programmes or Newcastle as I've never lived there. But I'm from Aberdeen and went to Uni there, it's a great university (5th oldest in the UK). But the city is incredibly expensive to live in, it's the most expensive city outside of London, due to the huge amount of oil companies that have their bases there. I don't know if there are renewable energy companies but there are a lot of windfarms in that area (and in Scotland in general). I've heard Newcastle is also great to live in, and much, much cheaper! I think both Uni's are good, so maybe make enquiries to renewable energy companies about which MSc is most attractive to them?

H

Are you from the UK/based here already, or will you be moving here from overseas? I ask because you might want to look into other aspects about the cities, aside from the cost of living, to identify which might be the most enjoyable for you to live in. For example, what the transport links are like to other places you might want to go to, or what the student communities there are like.

I imagine that the universities will be held in equally high regard. Both are close to the coast so I imagine you'd have close proximity to wind farms, but I don't know the sector well enough to be sure.

Looking at the above, I think there's little to pick between them. Both have companies situated locally working on renewable and green energy. Both have international reputations. Both names are recognisable internationally.

I can vouch Newcastle is a cheaper city to live in than Aberdeen coming from the NE of England myself, but I would not make this your main criteria for study. The prospects after you finish the course are far more important. To reiterate Caro's comments, it might be worth checking with companies which M.Sc. will be most attractive to them.

If possible, is there an open day where you can visit both campuses and meet some of the staff who'll be teaching you?

Ian

A

Thank you everyone for your valuable replies. I am from India and I will be taking a loan for my education. Since, the courses are of my interest and both have renewable energy companies in the city.. and that I will be on loan, cost of living would be one of the main criteria. Also I shall do further enquiries on the courses attracting more companies. I would like to request you people get me in touch with any existing students of newcastle university if possible.

Thank you.

C

If you are planning on staying in university accommodation it is likely the price will be similar for both universities. I'd contact them or look online at their websites to find that information before deciding.