Pass - Merit - Distinction

A

Hi

I have a problem that i would love somebody to help me with. I am just finishing my Masters Degree and i got my dissertation mark which is 75% and my overall mark for my taught models is only 65%. Are the credits of the dissertation higher than other taught modules? I was just wondering where does that leave me? Is it a Merit? Or just a Pass. I am unsure how they calculate the average. 65% and 75% is a average over 70. But if i calculate all my taught modules and my dissertation together i just get a pass. Is the dissertation rated higher then the taught modules? Can somebody answer this question?

H

Quote From avennus:
Hi

Can somebody answer this question?

Probably not. Grade boundaries vary from uni to uni, as do the weightings of the taught and dissertation components. Some Masters courses don't even award a 'merit' grade - mine was just either pass or distinction. So you'd be better off checking your course handbook (if you have one) or contacting the teaching office.

P

Agreed, it varies between unis.

With both my MScs, I needed to receive an overall average of 70% plus at least a 70% average for the dissertation for a distinction.

My first MSc awarded merits, whereas my second MSc (at UCL) only awarded a pass or distinction.

Depends on the university, check with module leaders. I averaged around 65% for both MScs, but received a merit in one and a pass in the other.

H

Whereas my uni I think the boundary for a distinction was 80%, and anything other than that was a pass. So it really does vary.