Predicted MSc outcome on CV?

F

Hello, I'm currently an MSc student (Biomed Sci Research) applying to a few graduate reasearch assistant posts at various Unis, so wanted a bit of advice!

Many of the job descriptions state that they're looking for people with "a good first degree" or suggest that applicants should generally have 2.1 but ... I have a 2.2. Can I put down my "self-predicted" grades for my MSc on my CV or not, as I think this will definitely boost my applications. I've already got half my grades back and am on course for a high Merit. If I really pull it out of the bag on my dissertation and get 70%+, I'd get a distinction - I'm currently working really hard on it and received good feedback so far, so fingers crossed! Should I be more conservative in pedicting my grades and just put down that I'm expecting a Merit? I'm not going to know my degree outcome for certain until mid-September time, but don't want to wait until then to start applying for jobs!

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

P

Hi, I wouldn't put down a self predicted grade unless it actually matches with the prediction of your supervisor (which no longer makes it self predicted I guess). They'll be contacting people for references and it won't look great if they talk to your supervisor and the grade you've predicted doesn't match (unless they think you'll do better than you think!).

S

It is a tricky one - could you speak to your supervisor, explain the situation and ask what grade they would predict and whether it would be ok to put that on your CV? Its always best if there's any chance that your potential employer would contact your references that they are well informed ;-)

K

======= Date Modified 30 Jun 2010 17:59:16 =======
Edited- sorry, I misunderstood the question and my reply wasn't relevant! KB

H

Why not put down your "current average"?

T

======= Date Modified 08 Jul 2010 09:05:25 =======
if you are sure that you can pull it off, then i would put down your expected marks indeed. thats what i did as well. just make sure you dont lie, make sure you write down on your CV "expected 2:1"
a CV should of course be a true representation of your life and education. but there is nothing wrong about advertizing yourself either, as long as its not a lie.
my 2 cents :)