problems finishing: wrote too much - how to edit

I

I have no external deadline, just plans what I will do right after finishing. I should be close to finishing my thesis, but after I got last supervisor's comments, I wrote too much additional stuff (I will have to cut some). Now I am editing, redrafting and while doing it, writing even more. But since the document got bigger, the editing is too slow. Especially, having in mind, that I have made a commitment to finish it at specific date and as I can see now, I overestimated my time (I had some plan how long editing of each part should take and I have just fallen behind it). I don't want to work at nights, but that was how I made my deadlines in the past. I think harming my health is not worth it. Or maybe it is? Just some nights and I probably would fit in that deadline. There is too many deadlines I set myself and missed. And as I start falling behind, I loose my motivation and start procrastinate more often. I also trying to have a "normal life" - exercising, having normal meals, some little commitments in my community. But I know the only way out is just sticking the butt to the seat and working on it. But I always feel that I could be working more efficiently during hours I actually put in (these are like 5 hours a day at least). How do you get this efficiency? How the hell one gets to edit a load of pages? I mean, is it better to try to get it right at once one goes through those pages (like the last time to get all the ideas) or to make many drafts, when each draft is better than the previous one? I have no opportunity to send shitty drafts to supervisor, this one is supposed to be the last one with minor revisions. Does anyone has the tendency to write too much, and then have too little time to edit it? How do you cope with that? I could try not to write, just edit, but some parts need some more explanation... How do you get things fit together in the thesis?
By the way, there is some good advice on editing in Foss and Waters book, but I feel I need advice from real people.

D

Hi In between,

I am in my 2nd year but I started writing early on. I find writing really hard, and I am really slow, so I try to write as much as possible. I set goals to write 500 to 1000 words per day, which I find reasonable.

For each publication, I start with almost 3 to 4 times the amount of words required, and then I have to cut it down, make it more dense. It is a challenge, as I try not to lose information during the process. Editing takes me ages....I can edit a finished draft for a month, I have no idea what I am doing and why I waste so much time!

I think one of my major problems is the lack of structure. I normally try to impose a structure AFTER I finished writing the first draft! After I have kind of managed to put the whole document flowing in a rational way, then I try to go into more specific. I ask questions from the more general to the more specific and each paragraph has to address the issues.

http://www.icpress.co.uk/general/p605.html

Check in this book advices on "how to write an introduction"

Then I work on each paragraph. First sentence has to explain the topic. Main body has to add more information, last sentence summarise. Of course, theoretically all these things sound easy, but it takes me LONG LONG (add more long) time until I reach to the point that each paragraph addresses a specific point in a structured way.

I ll also check the book you suggested. Good luck, I am also posting here to avoid editing my thousand random words!