Returning to education after a few years

M

Hello guys,

Next week I will commence a master's degree after having spent the last four years in 'the working world'. For those of you that have not been there yet it's a dreadful place most of the time. In any role or early stage of a career you carry out the most mind numbing, stifling tasks. Day by day your intellect and skills of analysis and reasoning are crushed by the sheer monotony of the tasks your employer wishes you to carry out. In light of having spent four years in this regime I am very worried about getting my essay writing skills up to scratch. I would really like to hit the ground running with my master's degree. Is there anybody out there who returned to do a master's after spending time away from academic study? I would be very grateful for any pointers that could help me get to the advanced level of analysis once again.

Many Thanks

Martin

H

======= Date Modified 15 Sep 2009 10:22:52 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
-inappropriate content-

H

======= Date Modified 15 Sep 2009 10:23:21 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
-inappropriate content-

H

I think huanic's posts may need a little editing...

On the topic of the opening post, I share a similar apprehension although my perspective is a bit different. I'm about to start a Masters after failing to complete a PhD (which left me with no confidence in my academic skills) and then doing a research/admin job which, although often stimulating, wasn't really the sort of post in which I could get to grips with hardcore reading/writing.

I don't have many pearls of wisdom, therefore, but what I am trying to do at the moment is read some of the recommended materials, as I know that my reading speed isn't what it once was, so I want to work that up again.

Good luck with your studies - I look forward to reading helpful advice from other people.

M

God, this all sounds horribly familiar!

I spent no less than ten years in the hideous world you describe, ended up feeling like my brain had turned to sludge, and had very much the same concerns as you when I went back to do my MA. (Would my poor, office-battered mind ever function properly again? Could I still write essays? Had I just left it too long?)

In reality, my synapses soon started firing again once I started getting the intellectual stimulation I'd been missing, and I'm sure the same will be true of you. I couldn't honestly say I had any trouble picking up the art of essay writing again, and I'd have to admit - reluctantly! - that my work experience was probably helpful in some ways. For instance, it meant I'd had several years to get over my fear of giving presentations, speaking out in a group etc., so I was more confident than many of the younger students. And I suppose it had probably helped me pick up generic skills like time/project management. And of course, it meant I had motivation in spades, just because I was so determined NOT to end up back in the (*shudder*) 'real world'!

Anyway, one way or another I didn't struggle to hold my own against students who were fresh from their first degrees, and now I'm about to start a funded PhD.

So, my advice would be not to worry. The old, sharp-minded you is still in there somewhere, honest - you just need to let him out!

S

I was in the same situation two years ago after returning to uni to complete my Masters having spent two mind-numbingly boring years working in a bank, urgh! Once you start, you'll get into it. I realised that a lot of students on my course were there for the wrong reasons, i.e. just wanting to stay a student and not enter the world of work for as long as possible (who can blame them?!) and so in some cases they lacked enthusiasm and often just seem to have a 'can't be bothered' attitude. I, on the other-hand, felt lucky to be there, and wanted to enjoy every minute, regardless of how boring the lecture was or how annoying it was having to spend your weekend writing essays! So I'd say just keep that in mind, appreciate your time there, and as the other poster said, try and draw on your experiences from the world of work, as these can only be a good thing! It will all come flooding back to you, I suppose it's a bit like riding a bike!
Good luck, and enjoy it!!!!! x