Same masters, part time or distance?

J

Hope this is the right place. I'm planning on taking a masters in Social Research Methods, has anyone any experience of this?

It is a taught masters that focuses on how to research, and obviously, a dissertation. Both universities (Queens Belfast, and Ulster) offer the exact same degree with the same syllabus. It ties in with my career so far and working experience quite well and would be a good way for me to move into research in the social field. My experience is working with homelessness, addictions, etc. I also have a 2.2 in Politics from Manchester Met Uni, I'm not sure if that would hurt or help.

Queen's is distance learning, Ulster is part time on campus one night a week. Queens is the better regarded university, would distance learning hurt on a C.V in the future? I'm not sure what one to go for although I'll probably apply for both, I eventually would have to make a choice. This is obviously self-funded.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

James

R

*bump*

Anyone with experience want to offer advice?

S

Hi JamesMcC,
Welcome to the forum! Your post reads like you will send in two applications, but you have selected Queen's, except you are not sure how distance learning would fair on your CV.

Actually, when you have finished your masters, it will probably NOT say "distance learning" or "School of Distance Learning, Queen's Belfast university" on your diploma. So nobody will know that you have had your masters through distance learning :-)

On your CV, the Master degree will be cited under Academic Qualifications. Name of university, year of graduation, CGPA or grade, if applicable. Usually no mention of distance learning.

In my case, I did my bachelor degree also through Distance Learning. Nobody asks me about it, because firstly it does not say "distance learning" on the degree. It just says the name of my university. Nobody needs to know full time, part-time, distance etc. UNLESS they are really interested. But so far, nobody has asked me :-)

What they want to see (later after your Masters) is how qualified you are :-)
Make your choice--and go for it!

love satchi

S

If you're going for a job in industry then you should emphasise distance learning on your CV! Employers are impressed by people with the drive to do such studies - it takes an altogether much higher level of motivation, push and tenacity to do one. It's one of the reasons Open University graduates are in such demand.

S

Quote From Sheldon:
If you're going for a job in industry then you should emphasise distance learning on your CV! Employers are impressed by people with the drive to do such studies - it takes an altogether much higher level of motivation, push and tenacity to do one. It's one of the reasons Open University graduates are in such demand.

hi Sheldon thanks for this input :-) I have to admit I still have the old school brick-and-mortar mentality :-)

love satchi