Securing a Masters Place at UCL- Hard?

G

I'm just wondering if anyone who studies in the Department of Political Science/School of Public Policy at UCL can tell me, from past expierience, how difficult it was to secure a place on a course in that department? e.g. if competition was high, or if you gained a 2:1 or above from a reputable university and held excellent A-level results that it was more an issue of whether you could afford it?

For the record I e-mailed my CV to the 'course contact' back in May for the course that I'm looking into applying for (MA Legal & Political Theory), whom responded saying that on the face of it I looked like a good candidate.

For the record I gained a 2:1 in Politics from Leeds University and hold 3-A A'Levels in Sociology, Politics & History.

George

S

For masters in general, if you have the entry requirements then it's a case of whether you can afford it. Masters courses are cash cows.

K

Hi George,

I am pretty sure that with grades like yours you shouldnt have any problems getting into the Masters! I got a 2:2 in a science related field and still got in for an MSc.
I think you should apply to more than 1 course in case you dont get your first choice!!

Best of luck and let us know what happens!

M

I got into UCL with a 2.1 and As at A level (although I eventually chose another London college).

As Smilodon says, masters courses are cash cows. If you make the grade, you normally get in. The obvious exceptions to this rule are very popular courses at Oxbridge.

P

I got into UCL with a 2.2. I did an MSc in the psychology department. I was in the minority however! Everyone else had 1sts and 2.1s. Most people had 2.1s. My MSc at UCL was my second MSc though- so I guess that helped me obtain a place there!

Sounds like you have a good chance in getting into UCL. I wish I was back there. It's such a great place to be!

x