statistics in msc disso

A

======= Date Modified 12 Jul 2011 21:50:54 =======

hi guys i am currently doing my msc disso and just started doing all the statisical tests and so on i just wanted to know what are the more complex stats that can be used with data, purely for trying to get higher marks to be perfectly honest,
ive used G*power in the methods which i would get more marks for, and the most complex thing in the results so far is mutiple regression for predictiving behavoiurs

what other stats realted stuff could be used to boost marks up ?

my disso looks compares confidence, locus of control and percieved barriers between active and non-active univeristy students.

hope u guys should shed some light

K

Hey Aaron, to be honest I think the main thing you need to do is make sure that whatever analysis you do answers your research questions in the best way possible. Whilst it's true that a few simple correlations or whatever wouldn't exactly set the examiners on fire, I certainly wouldn't go out of your way to use more complex statistics just for the sake of it, I really wouldn't. Obviously without knowing more about your research I can't really advise what you should do, but as long as you use an appropriate technique (and use it correctly) to address your research questions then I think you will be fine. My MSc used ANOVA and multiple regressions, and that was complex enough to answer my questions...most of my PhD quantitative work uses multiple regressions as well- you don't always need some complicated out-of-this world stats to do yourself justice. Just my opinion! Best, KB

H

======= Date Modified 12 Jul 2011 23:26:01 =======
I agree with Keenbean. Better to ask a clear question, measure the variables well, and use a simple (and appropriate) analysis, than go for something fancy which the data doesn't actually support and makes you lose the question in a see of stats. Your choice of methods should be determined entirely by the nature of the question you are asking and the characteristics of the key variables, so asking "what are the more complex stats that can be used with data" isn't going to get you much useful advice without further detail - and it's questionable whether you should do it anyway.

Have you sought any advice from your dissertation supervisor as to suggested analyses? If not, might be advisable. I'd also check the guidelines/marking scheme for the dissertation to make sure you're not concentrating your efforts in the wrong place.

======= Date Modified 13 Jul 2011 08:17:52 =======
My dissertation students do this every year - try to make it look more complicated than it needs to be because they think it will get them good marks. It won't. At my uni, you get marks for a good whole piece of work, well written and addresses a gap in the literature.

Your hypotheses should guide your stats. If you're doing anything extra than you shouldn't be, or at least you would have to back and hypothesise something different and therefore change your entire lit review.

That said, if you are using regression you could look at whether confidence was a mediator.

A

thanks for that, i am going to relook at a few things before i make any harsh changes or such.

i think it is because i struggled to understand and do stats at bsc level and for the 1st half of msc, but now i did all the tests i needed for my msc project in an afternoon i thought that it was just "too easy" to use in my disso, i didnt consider until today after seeing a stats boffin at uni that i am more smarter in regards to stats but lack the confidence with it.
i am using multiple regression using 3 variables but have to make sure the type 3 errors are acceptable  and significant ( have to relook at my notes) then use the y = mx + C to then predict amount of physical activity per week (in minutes) using confidence, barriers and internal locus on control as the predictive variables should be fun

thanks for your feedback guys:-)