Stuck about PhDs...

M

Hello, Im not sure if this is the right place or if this thread is even appropriate and will get DELORTED! but.. Im studying on an MRes because my old supervisor recommended it, buut.. the previous year I applied to the same person for a PhD and got turned down, so is this persons advice reliable? Also, my present tutor reckons its too early to apply yet Ive noticed a University in London stating their deadline was December! Im just so confused, I think Ive been given bad advice and now Ive missed the boat inadvertadly. I have no idea where to look or where to start... Its really starting to depress me and Im considering quitting and going back to work before I get into serious debt. :(

V

Hello- that sounds like a bit of a headache. I'd try not to worry too much though, because (in my experience) the deadlines for different universities/different phd's tends to vary quite a lot. If you dont need funding then it should be ok to apply anytime (within reason), but if you do need funding then there may still be a chance. Did your supervisor (for the MRES) give you any feedback as to why he didnt accept your proposal (or what would be needed to get it accepted)? Hope that helps a little, and sorry to hear you've been having troubles.

S

the research council's deadlines aren't past yet, are they?

V

I'm not sure about the research councils- though different universities (at least when I applied) had different deadlines for submission and acceptance of PhD students prior to their proposal being submitted to the research councils before their deadlines. Though that may have changed by now, but good luck..

V

Yes it is the wrong forum, if you look at the titles of sections then you'll see that is the case!

M

¬_¬ The Internet amuses me, well some of the people that post on it do...

Anyways I popped this here because Im a present masters level student, which from reading the forum title is where I assumed I should ask, rather than bothering the phd students with my stupid questions.

Thankyou kindly to the people that contributed constructive replies. :) Its much appreciated.