Sub. 3.0GPA (Third Class Standing) Opportunities

M

Hello,

I have a question about the possibility of attending a Master's programme. I received my BS in International Business and Management from a United States university and moved to Europe to help my family's import/export company. I have citizenship in an EU country, and thus, I am contemplating attending a Master's programme in the UK.

I would prefer London, as it is an international city which is very important for economics and business. I do have notable extracurricular activities on my CV(Resumé) including presidency at the Collegiate Fraternity Council at my University. I have work experience with my family's business in international trading and I speak a few foreign languages, but there is a problem...

The problem is that in my last year at university, I received two D's and this turned my relatively good GPA into a 2.84 GPA. The honest reason to why this happened was because I started to focus on business preparations after graduation and less on actually completing the degree. One notable thing about my transcript, however, is that I graduated in 3 years instead of 4 (or 5 for many), and with 10 credits more than needed (130 instead of 120)

In your honest opinion, do I have a chance at getting into a decent MBA or MSc Economics programme in London? I am looking at the University of Greenwich primarily, because of their MBA International Business programme, but I am flexible to all options. (In terms of financing the MBA/MSc, no scholarship or special financial assistance is needed).

D

MBAs have been in big demand during the economic downturn as city types brush up their qualifications. I'm sure that you can find a course, but it may not be your first choice. They cost a fortune though. Spend the £50k on a new business line and get your Honory Doc when you are a captain of industry ;-)
But don't let your scores hold you back. I just passed my doctoral viva and I have a 2:2. Sometimes the more 'colourful' candidates enrich a course and make good students. Good luck!

M

"Spend the £50k on a new business line and get your Honory Doc when you are a captain of industry ;-)"

I always felt this way about all of the money and time spent getting my bachelors, haha; I think/hope a MSc or MBA would be more useful though. The economic down turn has left me wanting to branch out and try to earn a living without the restrictions and safety for my family so it is important that I can compete in this market. I was looking at a few universities on The Complete University Guide website and for EU citizens, an MSc in Economics or MA in International Business tend to be less than £10k which is quite reasonable in my opinion. I just don't know what level university I should apply for so I know which ones I shouldn't get my hopes up for; I don't know the British school system very well.
Congratulations on your Doctoral Viva Doctor, I'm sure you've earned it :)

D

Having worked in industry for well over a decade, my experience is MBA is largely the preserve of middle management. Economics is the disipline of putting together cohesive arguments from fuzzy information and a masters in business is the course for deputy head teachers. Personally I would look at either a finance degree, or approach somewhere like the LBS with seed capital and form a start up business with some of their MBA students. It all boils down to whether you want to run a business or work in a business. Sounds to me like you are a captain. Have at it sailor!

M

Interesting comment about the MBA vs. MSc Economics. After speaking with a few people, I'm leaning more towards an MBA, and if possible, with an International Business concentration (like my BS). Unfortunately finance is not my strong side and LBS is probably a bit out of my grasp due to my low scores; management and logistics are better for me. One problem is that I have not taken the GMAT and do not know the possibility of entering an MBA program in London (or the UK), without the GMAT. Is this possible?

A

Hi All!

I am a student at Yale Law School and the co-founder of an admissions counseling company, inGenius Prep (wwwdotingeniusprepdotcom), which helps students build their candidacy and perfect their applications for competitive business schools.

Our students have the opportunity to work one-on-one with expert admissions counselors. Our team includes former admissions officers from the top business schools in the country, including: Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, and more.

If you're thinking of applying to business school, and would like to learn more about us, you can check out our website (wwwdotingeniusprepdotcom), or shoot me an email at info@ingeniusprepdotcom.

I

Quote From Matteo90065:
Interesting comment about the MBA vs. MSc Economics. After speaking with a few people, I'm leaning more towards an MBA, and if possible, with an International Business concentration (like my BS). Unfortunately finance is not my strong side and LBS is probably a bit out of my grasp due to my low scores; management and logistics are better for me. One problem is that I have not taken the GMAT and do not know the possibility of entering an MBA program in London (or the UK), without the GMAT. Is this possible?

No- they all ask for the GMAT (even the "average" ones) and these days I'd say u need to score at least 650 (if ur aiming LBS/INSEAD, etc... then 700+ is a must).

W

I am having a serious problem problem on how to get my school transcript from my university. The policy of not giving the transcript to students, but send it to the university a student wishes to further in his masters program. This affect me seriously because scholarship bodies also require transcript on their online application forms. I think I need someone help over this, a student of any institution to receive from my school. Please help! Thanks for your help advance.

J

@Wilsoneroberts, did you contact your university? What did they say?
Sorry, no personal experience with this issue.