Supervisor does not allow submission

M

======= Date Modified 08 Oct 2012 11:43:01 =======
I'm currently in my 6th semester for masters degree and well, the journey has been very depressing. I have a very demanding supervisor (SV). I am pretty much done on my thesis...200 pages write up and have approval for the first 3 chapters. My SV is still reading the final chapter (for the 6th or 7th times) and I am still correcting minor errors. I told her my intention to submit this semester. She seems unhappy with my decision. Well, for my university, normally when you are writing the final chapters for your thesis, you have to notify the graduate school that you will be submitting soon. It's the notification that I am telling my SV which I wanted to submit. Not the final draft yet. How upset she is with this? She suddenly returns my final chapters, telling me to REDO half of it. I seriously feel so frustrated. She have been correcting it for half a dozen of time and said I only need to correct MINOR errors. That's it! But now, she said I have to REDO half of it, which is about 60 pages!!! Things that she used to give good comments for, finally become wrong. She even DELETED the compliments she previously gave me on the corrected pages. Oh my God!!! What does this mean??? Do I have to follow what she ask me to do 100% or tell her what I feel about it? I'm really lost. I'm taking a scholarship and I can't be extending my studies. I need to continue with PHD soon. Which is why, I can't wait any longer. I need some advice.. Thank you :-(

R

Sorry to hear of your troubles Motivationfinder. A lot of people on here have problems with their supervisor - I hope someone can offer some advice.

K

I'm pretty cetain it is down to you in the end what you submit, they can advise but they can't do the work for you or tell you exactly what to put/or not put that's cheating! lol. I know on my MA (in the UK) we have supervision meetings and they can point you in the right direction but at the end of the day it's up to me to submit something by the deadline. I'd check with your uni but if it's submission deadline and you're happy woth what you have done, hand it in.

;-)

P

======= Date Modified 16 Nov 2012 14:37:54 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*Removed by postgradforum team - advertising*