Thesis Supervisor absent for majority most of term

G

Hi im a student studying for a taught masters in sustainable energy engineering, ive just finished my undergrad. degree in chemical eng. last year it was probably the hardestwork ive ever done especially final year (at one piont i stayed up for three days straight doing project work in order to meet a deadline). I started this masters cause i wanted to diversify and because i am in receipt of a maintenance grant i didnt have to pay any fees, so i figured id do this as jobs weren't exactly plentiful and i didnt want to settle for one im not entirely happy with. Anyway, i was a assigned a thesis project in october entitled " performance assessment of the geothermal heating and cooling system in one of the universities most modern buildings". I immediately contected my supervisor via email to see how i could start the project and when he replied it was to give me a brief outline of the project and tell me that he was on sabatical until January. Anyway to get to the main point its mid February now and hes only just made himself available to meet, he said he had a family bereavement, i mean what can you say to that really. My thesis is farily non-existent (well thats not truth ive done a fair but of research but nothing concrete just methods of analysis) and i have to hand it up in mid April. So i feel like even if i finally figure out where im going with it now it will be too late. I know this is largely my fault but ive been depressed this year (and admittedly lazy having just finished one of the most work intensive engineering degrees on earth, im not exaggerating) and ive been lost and unaware of where to go with the thesis. I was emailing my supervisor but he told me in late october to leave him alone as he was on holidays. He gave me some people to contact who work in the building and they were initially quite helpful (e.g. gave me a tour and a rundown of the system) but when it came to actually really helping me (e.g. providing me with site specific data required for my thesis) they wouldnt even email me back ive sent them about 30 emails and they just dont respond i feel powerless im just a student i cant order the design engineer or manager of a building around if they dont help me. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to do ive been considering dropping out but id hate myself if i nquit especially since i know im well capable. People in my class are flying as they were givn less specific projects and their supervisors were on hand to guide and assess. I dont even know what my rights are in this situation or if i have any. I know i have to shoulder alot of the blame for this but i also know its far all my fault. It really pisses me off when i see some of my class mates doing well even though i know im more technically proficient than alot of them as we do alot of modules and course work together. Ive been thinking of biting the bullet and telling the course co-ordinator but im not certain ill get much sympathy.

J

All is not lost- you still have time. firstly get your plan in place if you do not have a concrete set up already, note what parts of the work you have already done go where and start putting material where it belongs. you can get your methodology sorted as even if you have to change it a bit most will be refined. Lit review should be quite far along as well and can be roughed out at least, refs can be written, abstract drafted etc.. As each of these reach a suitable stage, email them to your supervisor, asking for comments, they should respond - or if they were like mine, they won't, but you can only try. The problem with the actual managers might be that they are very busy, so I would either pop in to see them, or pop in to see when you can see them, ask if they would like to see the areas where you need their expert help (emphasis it is their expert help you need as this will make them realise you will not be wasting their time, getting the info you are asking for may well be time consuming and hard to fit in with everything else they need to do. If you can get to see them they may tell you what you can and can't have too, some may not be for general publication, not may area so can't be sure if this is right for yours, but certainly is for mine ) I would refrain from sending loads of emails, they will probably delete them without reading if you send loads. The personal approach may well bear fruit.

If it gets to mid March and you have heard nothing from your supervisor, go to see the person in charge and explain your problem, and if necessary get more time. They will probably sort something out for you. However it is important that you emphasise that you realise the people you are contacting may be busy doing other things, and don't complain the supervisor is not doing their job, that is for the person in charge of the department to decide, be pleasant and understanding of the  possible problems of the supervisor and the others too and you will no doubt be given a sympathetic ear, and the help you need.

you can do this

P

Joyce is right. You still have time because although you think you haven't achieved much you sound as if you've been thinking about the problem for quite a while and you just need to throw yourself into the work. If you go to see the building managers yourself you can achieve a lot quite quickly and your writing up shouldn't take that long.
I would let someone in authority know your difficulties with your supervisor and the problems you have. They might be able to get you an extension in time and they probably knew that the supervisor was having problems of their own.
Don't forget that not being able to finish a project is sometimes a result in itself - explaining the difficulties in obtaining the data etc. 

G

Thanks for the advice its much appreciated.Im gona try my best but but i still have to be realistic if i dont get an extension theres now way ill be able to fufilll the requirements of the thesis too much time has passed and i know it. The only reason i dont think ill get any sympathy in tis situation is because i never spoke out while my project was going nowhere but the only reason i didnt is because i knew my supervisor was coming back at some stage and since he is the one who corrects the thing i didnt exactly want to do anything to annoy him. Can anybody tell me if i have any rights, i mean are these people allowed to treat students such as myself this way with no repercussions. I know this is my thesis and the work is my responsibility, i know that at this level the help you receive should be minimal but this is ridiculous. Ive effectively had no supervisor for my entire project,ive been trying to run completely on my own steam with only the title of an extremely esoteric project thats very unrelated to my degree, the whole reason i chose to do a taught masters rather than research was the fact that is more structured and doesnt require as much self motivation. I not saying i cant motivate myself i can (better than most i dare say hopefully without sounding too arrogant) the last 4 years (espcially the last 2) is a testament to that, if you only knew how many late nights and holidays were spent studying or doing project, i dont think you'd believe it. Anyway if anyone out there has any info on whether i have any rights i mean surely there must be some academic regulations that supervisors must abide by to prevent instances such as this. I mean its their job its what their paid to do and hes not done his.

J

you can do it, make yourself a timetable and work to that. See whoever is in charge and politely ask for an extension and calmly explain that due to circumstances beyond your supervisor's control he appears to have been unable to perhaps give you as much help as you are sure he would have liked. Do not complain about your supervisor directly, it will not help your cause and may well create an unpleasant atmosphere. There are no doubt avenues for complaint, but I only received a couple of e-mails the entire time I was writing the thesis for my masters, and I don't think it is unusual, some supervisors like to be there all the time, others don't, that is just the way life is. Channel your energy into your work, it will be OK. :-)