What after MPhil in UK?

A

Hello everyone,

I have been offered an MPhil position at Newcastle University, UK in the field of Bioenergy and I am quite interested in it. I would like to know what are future prospects of an MPhil graduate apart from a possible PhD. How do industry guys look at these graduates?

Thanks

Quote From anirudh_nabt:
Hello everyone,

I have been offered an MPhil position at Newcastle University, UK in the field of Bioenergy and I am quite interested in it. I would like to know what are future prospects of an MPhil graduate apart from a possible PhD. How do industry guys look at these graduates?

Thanks

Is this MPhil with possible upgrade to PhD after mid-point review? Newcastle is a good choice.

Ian

A

Yes it is Ian. But the focus is on the word "possible" and "availability of funds".
However, if in case I am not able to avail a fully funded PhD what can be alternative options for my career like industry/consultancy jobs. It would be great if you have an idea on this.

Thanks
Anirudh

A

Anybody who can help me with this, it will be great!!

I can't offer specific advice to your field, however, it depends on what you want to do afterwards. The way I see it, it's swings and roundabouts.

If you're looking to do a PhD after your Newcastle MPhil (without extension or transfer to PhD at Newcastle), then theoretically you'll have one advantage over other candidates in that you have University-based research experience.

However, you might be asked why you only have an MPhil and not a PhD as MPhils are sometimes awarded to a PhD candidate who's either withdrawn early or whose work on examination is not quite to PhD standard - in other words, you might be seen as a failed PhD. You thus must explain to a prospective PhD supervisor that only an MPhil was on offer or the only real option for your study. Also, if you end up following an academic path then a PhD will offer you an easier career path over MPhil - the latter may hit a glass ceiling, especially in Science and Engineering.

As regards real world employment or consultancy, the MPhil is a potential advantage as the Masters level qualification can give you that edge over people with only Bachelor's degrees. Staying on for Masters is quite common in the UK for this reason. It also doesn't have that overly academic feel of a PhD, in that you are less likely to be seen as a perpetual or professional student.

However, very occasionally the more savvy interviewer will realise you have a Masters by research rather than a taught Masters (the route most Masters students take by choice). Again you might be faced with the question (though much less likely than in academic circles) why it is not a PhD. As regards consultancy, I'll leave that part for others to answer, however, if the consultant was a Doc rather than an MPhil, it just might carry a little more authority or weight with the client.

Sorry I couldn't be of specific help. Anyone able to add more?

Ian