What is a meta-synthesis?

P

My wife is trying to research the topic and there does not seem to much out there it. Is anyone involved with this? She is doing social work research.

Thanks

K

Well I'm not too sure, but I think a meta-synthesis is kind of like a meta-analysis, but without the stats! So for a meta-analysis you could combine a load of results from different studies so that you have a much greater N, and then do your stats on this new, bigger group. For a meta-synthesis, I think it is about taking either results or models/concepts that have been derived from results, and trying to fit them together into one model or one over-arching theory that takes into account all of the models/concepts. So you don't do any statistics, but attempt to combine a number of different theories or models into one 'bigger, better' theory/model, for the purposes of pulling research together (i.e. synthesize it) and creating a better understanding of a phenomenon. Hmmm, I've just read what I've written and I'm not sure it makes sense! Hope it helps a bit...I'm sure someone on here will know more about it! KB