whose advice to follow?

O

Hi all
Am having a conundrum with some issues around statistical model selection in the dissertation I'm doing for my 1+3 Masters bit.

I'm getting advice from my friend who's a post-doc at another uni, and he seems confident that doing things his way will help me to do well. But I'm sure that some statistical things he's telling me are things they don't like in my department, where lots of statisticians reside. I'm not getting supervision in my own department, as the deadline for that has now past, so I've no hope of recourse to a real statistician.

The only other person who might advise me is my friend who did well on my course last year and did an excellent dissertation. She is far less experienced than my post-doc friend, and she sometimes goes to him for statistical advice!

My post-doc friend has spent a lot of time helping me, and he gets regularly published, but I'm not sure I can trust his stats. My model selection conundrum feels too complex to be answered with a book.

I realise I'm not making much sense... do others find wildly differing advice offered by different people when it comes to stats? I do. Unfortunately my work is going to be marked by statisticians....

F

======= Date Modified 28 Nov 2011 09:39:43 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--SPAM--