Working part time during a Masters

N

I graduate this year and hope to study for an MSc beginning in September. I have just secured myself a job which will be part/full time in the summer and part time for when I start studying again. I need to work as my MSc isn't funded and although my parents are helping me out, I will need an income.
Do most people work part time through their Masters degrees? If I were to continue and study towards a PhD I would get funding/a studentship so I wouldn't have to work (probably), as I think that would be too much given the demands of a PhD.
The problem is, I am going through the application process for a MSc at the university where I am now, and it is looking hopeful. However, at my job interview today I had to give the details of two referees. As I didn't think my current employer was suitable I gave the details of two of my tutors at university, who both know me quite well. I had to tell them obviously, so now they know that I am working. Will that affect my chances of getting onto the MSc course, if they know I'm working part time as well would they question how dedicated I would be to the MSc course, even though I am a good student? Surely they don't expect students to do nothing all summer?!

I'm probably being totally paranoid here, but I really want to do this course so much and don't want anything to let me down, any advice/reassurance appreciated, Natassia

A

I worked between 16 and 24 hours paid work during my full time MSc. I was certainly not the exception and some people on my course did more hours (I also had a bursary but I only had change after paying my fees!).

I'm extremely close to the HoD from my MSc and she said she thinks it's appalling that some people don't work (this actually wasn't the case on my course, everyone did at least 8 hours) through their MSc given that they're (normally) at least 21.

It certainly shouldn't stop you getting a place, what with widening participation etc. They normally suggest not working more than X hours but unless you're research funded it won't be a problem.

Good luck.

A

N

Thanks, thats good to know. I think our tutors expected that we worked during the undergraduate degree (I always did), but obviously the MSc is more intense and would demand more independent study time. But, in my opinion, if you're dedicated and motivated enough to want to do a Masters, then you would be organised enough with your time to fit it in around work, if that makes sense. I will be working practically full time during the summer, but when I start the MSc course I'll cut down, I told my employer 20 hours max and she was fine with that, she accepts that studies are most important to me and that I will have to fit work around them, they have employed students before even though it is quite a professional position.

Hopefully I'll be ok then, whats your subject out of interest?

K

I don't think it would put people off, so long as you make it clear that your studies will be your priority. Lots of people have to work in order to fund their MSc. However, it really depends on how intense and flexible your course is. I didn't work at all through my MSc because it just wasn't feasible- we were also advised not to work during term time due to the demands of the course. My MSc was split between being a taught course and doing research, and I was snowed under with so many exams, heaps of coursework, and a major research project on top of that. The project I was involved in was extremely demanding- much more so that many other people's projects, but it got me where I wanted to be in the end so I have no regrets. But it literally felt like two or three years' worth of work crammed into a single year, and I spent all of my holidays either revising for exams or testing participants for my research project. Then again, I know people on other courses which are nothing like as demanding in terms of time, so I guess the best thing is to just wait and see how busy you are going to be. But make sure you do your masters to the best of your ability- they are often the gateway to future PhDs/jobs etc. Good luck! KB

N

Thanks KB - more good advice!
My MSc is all taught apart from the dissertation, I know it will be quite full-on, but I think I will be able to work part time as well, and I'll need the money. My tutors all seem to know that I am totally dedicated to the course, it will always come first for me as it should do. I have always had quite a busy lifestyle, comprising my horse, work and studies but they all seem to mutually benefit and work around each other, if that makes sense. My prospective employer is totally fine about me working considerably less hours when I start studying again, as long as I am honest and up-front about what I can and can't do.

I'm just feeling so paranoid about not getting onto this course after being rejected from the last one, it was a bit of a shock and I was so devastated, its made me feel like I can't do anything I want to do and that everything is going to stop me...even though everyone at university has been so supportive and helpful its like there is something in my head telling me I shouldn't get my hopes up, even though I know I want to do it more than anything and that I am capable. I just want things to start working out for me!

S

I think so long as you're upfront and honest you will be fine. The uni staff know that we can't live on fresh air and need an income, the only thing I'd say, and I'm not sure if it applies at your uni or not, is that if you work over a certain amount of hours (in our case 10 a week) then they prefer you to study p/t as the workload of an MA is so intense. I've just had to get special dispensation from the grad director to work 10 hours as a phd student and that was only allowed as I am working as an RA on a project directly related to my phd. I may be that they are tougher with me as I have a uni scholarship (not a funding body which has a 6 hour rule) but I don't think so. It may just be worth your while seeing if you can find out quietly if your dept does has a ruling on this - I'm sure that not all do, but there are some, and they are there for a reason - the work is so so hard and intense, much harder than my BA and even my PhD! It shouldn't in anyway affect whether they accept you or not, that depends on you and your ability and as you aren't funded and need to live then they may make an exception which is usually down to your supervisor and your dept grad director, or suggest going p/t. Just try and check, with the grad school if necessary - I'd hate for you to get going, keep working, then find out further down the line that they don't allow above a certain amount of hours in term time that you could have got around through talking things through :)