worried sick

L

Hiya

This is my first post in this forum. I could really do with some advice. I am currently doing my masters research and only three months away from my submission deadline. I am still stuck with my simulation (software coding) and trying to figure out how to fix it. After that I need to start the real experiments and start writing the whole thesis. (which according to my seniors could take upto six months!). I am worried sick as my scholarship contract will also end in three month. It almost seems impossible to get everything done in 3 months. Plus I am a single parent and need to balance my time between research and my child. Any constructive advice is most welcome. Many thanks.

E

In my opinion, you could make it if you would do nothing else these 3 months apart from working for your thesis. Taking into consideration that you cannot do that, I would try to ask for an extension. To have any chance to be granted one you should explain clearly your reasons, and they should be quite serious.

S

hi Liah
welcome to the Forum. How long do you think it will take for the simulation to be solved?
Can you do it within one month? It seems to be key to getting the rest of the masters research done :-)

Sometimes it is better to just deal with the situation the way it is when it presents itself (no matter how worrying/annoying etc.!).

Ask yourself if you want to finish the masters research--if you want to continue.

In the worst case scenario, if you haven't finished--and the scholarship is up, you still have to survive--that is to find some way of getting paid income. That can also happen without a masters degree. If this happens, you need to let yourself off the hook and be open to new challenges--perhaps find some other work for the time being, or even ask family for help etc.

On the other hand, since it is a 3-month deadline from now--

and you are very keen on this research, speak to your supervisor about solving the simulation coding--get all the help you can get--ask seniors etc. and then figure out the realistic timeline for getting this done. Tell the school you need an extension--and most likely, this request will be granted.

With that time-line, work out some kind of plan to be able to have subsistence--which means you may have to look for work, that means your masters research will take longer if you have to work to support yourself (but if it means that much to you)--and then rein in help for child care (mother, sister, good reliable people etc.). If you have that support, you will be able to think better, work better, and finish faster.

love satchi

L

Dear Satchi and Evakimou,

Thank you so much for your advise. A part of me says I can still make it in 3 months. I really hope I do. At the same time I need to accept the bitter truth that it might go beyond 3 months and I will have no choice but to apply for an extension. Hope things work out for me, although I am writing this with my sick child lying next to me. It hard sometimes. Thanks for you kind advice.

E

I wish you the best of luck. I did my MSc dissertation in 5 months(recruiting, testing participants and writing up) and I do have a 3 year - old. The last 3 months I had asked my mom for help, meaning coming in the morning and leaving at night. With these terms I made it and I gained a 2:1 for it. It is very hard when you are a parent but do not let panic freeze you. Act sooner than later. xx