Help me choose where to go? ( Msc, Economics and Finance in UK)

R

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of conundrum, please help me decide which university will be best for Msc in Economics and Finance course in UK. I already have offers from following:

University of York
University of Leicester
Newcastle University
University of Reading
Cardiff University

two criteria are :
a. Job prospects
b. PhD prospects

Please give your rankings !

Thanks

I

Of the ones you've listed, York has a very good economics department- is the course under the department of economics? It would help if you consider a PhD, and job prospects are good. Not to mention it is a beautiful city!

R

Hi, Thanks for the reply, what do you mean 'it would help if I consider a PhD'? I am interested in that after the masters but does York have funding opportunities for international students?

I

Depends on the department- I'm sure there's funding but let me remind you that here in the UK there's a severe austerity programme in place and unis have been slashing funding especially towards research and postgraduate degrees. If you can secure funding from another source it would be much better! By "it would help if you're considering a PhD" I was referring to the importance of selecting not just a good uni, but a good department for the PhD, as good departments are the ones (generally) with top faculty and good research output. Of the ones you mentioned York is the best in that respect; my PhD is in economics so that's my field.