Scholarship for Masters in Wageningen University

A

I have got an offer for Masters in Biotechnology at Wageningen University for February 2015. Could anybody suggest a few scholarship availability.

Thanks

A

Hello Everyone,

I have got an admit for Masters in Biotechnology at Wageningen University, The Netherlands. My primary interest is in Biofuels and the particular course can be specialized in the field of my interest. So, I am quite ready go ahead with it for February 2015. Although, I would like to know the following details:

1. Accommodation, living costs and part time jobs?
2. Job prospects and average salary in general related to university ? (if anyone can inform me about the specific course it would be even better)
3. Fully funded PhD prospects? (as applying to these courses, I have wasted almost an year)
4. What is the general opinion/comments about the university (I have seen that it ranks in top 100, but ranking is not everything, so a generalized views?

Apart from this I have an offer for MPhil in energy at Newcastle University, UK. I have seen a range of comments on how an MPhil degree is considered as a failed PhD. However, I have also seen that MPhil students are considered over PhD graduates (considered as overqualified) for an industry job. I am not interested in academia either and I am looking for industrial job prospects.

Any comments on the MPhil degree and its job prospects will be a huge benefit to me.

Please let me know if anyone has any idea on these things.

Thank You

T

An MPhil is not a failed PhD; only when someone starts a PhD and doesn't make it and then gets awarded an MPhil

P

Hey,

4. I am no expert, but I know a little bit about Wageningen University.
They call themselves the university of life sciences for a reason. Broad range of studies in the life sciences available. It has been ranked the best university in The Netherlands for the ninth year in a row (Keuzegids).
I have visited it twice a few years ago during open days and I really liked it, but in the end I chose to study biology in Leiden, because of the distance.

(About your field of interest: you can also enroll for a biotech related course at for instance the Technical University Delft (TU Delft) if the study advisor approves.)

1. I know most students live in a small town right next to Wageningen called Ede. Most of them travel by bike. Housing is definitely cheaper than in cities like Utrecht, Leiden or Amsterdam.

I assume you would have to do at least one or two internships during your masters. I would recommend to do at least one of them at a company. An example could be DSM (also works on biofuels). A friend of mine did one of his internships at DSM Delft and received 500 euros a month during for half a year. I know there are also lots of spin-off companies of wageningen university, so that could also be an option. I guess you could also earn some money by assisting during practical courses of bachelor students.

2./3. Salary of PhD candidates in The Netherlands (4 years). In general fully funded. Check out the website academictransfer [dot] org to get an idea of the possibilities.

Grade Salary(gross monthly)

00 € 2083
01 € 2427
02 € 2542
03 € 2664

I'm sorry I could not answer all of your questions. Good luck!

A

Hey Peter,

Thank you very much for the broad description about wageningen university. This is really very helpful information.

One of my other concerns that's bothering me was the availability of part time jobs for intenational students during weekdays or weekends and it's availability for English only speaking students and also if I learn the Dutch language how will it improve my chances.

Thanks

P

You're welcome.

I found some information regarding part time jobs for international students. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter