10,000 hours to success?

O

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1078842/Practice-makes-perfect-Why-takes-10-000-hours-success-according-academic.html

Wondering what this means in terms of a PhD--lets see, depressingly, 365 days x 8 hours is a mere 2920 hours......

S

if I read it right it says 10,000 hours over a decade, thank god! Don't know about you but my PhD is only 3 years plus possibly post docs etc. It will even itself out... so don't worry Olivia, no-one expects you to do that in a year and if they do, they ought to get a life! I'll get off my soap box now I think!:-)

P

Hmm thats what I thought....i mean it didnt say anywhere on the article that 10k hours was for one year...:)

R

That's true.... and if you add in all those hours spent during our undergrad degrees and masters, maybe we're all well on the way to success.

C

Hi Guys

I think this whole 10,000 hours business varies between individuals and subjects, besides I would'nt believe anything you read in the daily mail anyway.

O

What? The Daily Mail is not a reliable news source?!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it isn't so...........why, its where I keep up with all the latest, Madonna's divorce, the new fade for 8" heels ( are people crazeeeeeyyyyyyy???????), etc.....

I wasn't thinking that 10,000 hours had to be done in a single year, I was just trying to see how many years it would take to do 10,000 hours if you worked 8 hours a day....3.42 years--which is probably something like the average time to complete a PhD! Coincidence??!!! Hmmm....

But then there is that depressing article that says if you drink a lot of beer and work in science you are less likely to get published.....but wait, thats only for science.......checking my topic......whew.......it won't apply to me. Time to exit to the pub!