Acronyms and Abbreviations trends

M

Hi everyone,

I have just realized that I am unsure on how to abbreviate some degree titles collectively. So, I wanted to ask as to what are the prevalent practices in titles/acronyms/abbreviations that you folks have seen. Or if you know of any site/book giving details on this.

As an example, I have personally seen some people writing B.Sc. Ph.D. etc.  (e.g. our Department Head)

But then I have seen other people use totally different styles. Which is confusing (as manuals of styles don't really dictate these AFAIK)

So, for say a degree with honours/honors in Electrical Engineering, would you suggest using B.Sc. Hons EE or BEng (Hons) or something else?

Also, what would be your opinion on using either of Abc, PhD or else Dr. Abc?

Cheers,

Mak

A

======= Date Modified 12 Oct 2011 14:43:29 =======
======= Date Modified 12 Oct 2011 14:36:18 =======
hmmmm

to me, 'Abc, PhD' is an American way of stating the title whereas 'Dr Abc' is the more the norm in Europe. Also, 'Abc, PhD' seems more suitable to me if the person in question is not a practising doctor (as in a lecturer) but neverthless wants the world to know that they have a doctorate!

In relation to style, the more 'modern' way of doing things is to omit punctuation though that is not to say that Ph.D or Dr. are incorrect. As far as I know it is normal to use a full-stop or dot after an abbreviation if the abbreviation does not contain the first and last letter of the word being abbreviated! Hence Doctor is abbreviated to 'Dr' [no full stop] but Professor is shortened to 'Prof.'

M

Hi Ady,

Thanks for the input.

Cheers