Q

======= Date Modified 07 48 2008 17:48:45 =======
??

P

excuse me?

Seriously, EXCUSE ME?

In fact, excuse ALL of us.

P

In case my post below looks strange, here's to point out that the poster QOFE had posted a huge post on whether we at the forum could advise her about an intricate matter involving multiple love rounds of a certain person and the usual associated issues.

I responded with Excuse me!! because the post hadnt a thing to do with anything about PhDs or PhD life, and was the perfect entry to an agony or romance advice column (this was also the posters first post).

After this I come back to see two question marks, the original post having been deleted, making my reply look utterly foolish!

M

Well damn...given your initial reaction Phdbug... it sounded a very interesting opening post! :-)

B

having read the original post and your initial reply it strikes me that perhaps QOFE was asking for some general advice and i think your reply was insenstive, rude and quite frankly unnecessary. Postgraduate life isn't all about exams and study... the very nature means that most of us are adults with lives outside courses. Perhpas you should have been more sensitive in your reply phdbug and then QOFE wouldn't have "made you seem stupid" by deleting their post. It seems that education cannot make up for manners in this case. QOFE, i don't think this board was the right place to have put your question but can understand that you are obviously trouble by your predicament. Perhaps seeking advice off your friends or in another non educational forum would be more useful. Phd bug obviously is very focused on their studies and cannot relate to others in appropriate ways.

P

Hmm..very very interesting indeed.....there is a little pattern developing on this thread..... :) Can anyone else see the pattern?

Misspacey: yes, the post really was interesting, and I am wondering if all posters deleted their posts in response to a 'excuse me!" we'd soon become a forum of placid consent rather than one of excitement, argumentation and debate!!

My post history on this forum shows nothing akin to insensitivity, I am sure of that :)

P

In fact I remember a couple of weeks back, I disagreed with some others, Misspacey, was it you among them (cant recall) about high fees and grad courses in the UK (we were discussing LSE I think)....havent checked yet but I am sure all of us retained our posts and stuck up for them, though I remember there was some high amount of debate and disagreement out there!

Personally, I think we are a pretty responsive, argumentative and helpful forum, and we have discussed everything in our phD lives from personal issues, deaths, births, supervisors (most often!!), bad committee members, flawed panels, data screw ups, financial troubles....and much more...

Its just that the first post from the person, without a single mention of anything else was straight out of a romance advice column, (I really wish it hadnt been deleted)..

In any case, QO and brainiac, both of you joined our forum at a pretty similar moment on the same day with great first posts, so Welcome to BOTH of you.

hmm.

;-)

M

Quote From phdbug:

Hmm..very very interesting indeed.....there is a little pattern developing on this thread..... :) Can anyone else see the pattern?

Misspacey: yes, the post really was interesting, and I am wondering if all posters deleted their posts in response to a 'excuse me!" we'd soon become a forum of placid consent rather than one of excitement, argumentation and debate!!

My post history on this forum shows nothing akin to insensitivity, I am sure of that :)

No, I cannot see a pattern would you like to explain yourself Phdbug??

I was merely answering with a fun response...ie. it's a shame it was deleted because it sounded fun/interesting/salacious.

M

Quote From phdbug:

In fact I remember a couple of weeks back, I disagreed with some others, Misspacey, was it you among them (cant recall) about high fees and grad courses in the UK (we were discussing LSE I think)....havent checked yet but I am sure all of us retained our posts and stuck up for them, though I remember there was some high amount of debate and disagreement out there!

Personally, I think we are a pretty responsive, argumentative and helpful forum, and we have discussed everything in our phD lives from personal issues, deaths, births, supervisors (most often!!), bad committee members, flawed panels, data screw ups, financial troubles....and much more...

Its just that the first post from the person, without a single mention of anything else was straight out of a romance advice column, (I really wish it hadnt been deleted)..

In any case, QO and brainiac, both of you joined our forum at a pretty similar moment on the same day with great first posts, so Welcome to BOTH of you.

hmm.

;-)

Ah, okay, you're suggesting the opening poster and the brainiac are the same poster. For a moment then, I thought you were suggesting I'd adopted a new identity and I was rather annoyed (at least I hope that isn't what you were/are suggesting!?!). I've always been honest and straight-up on this forum, and I don't really appreciate being embroiled in the controversy that has developed between you and the two assumed identities of the opening poster relating to your initial response. I don't think our discussions about LSE or fees (or whatever else), and whether posts on those discussions have been deleted, has any relevance here to how you responded to the opening poster here and whether he/she was at liberity to delete their comments.

Shucks, I write a brief fun comment for light relief...

P

Misspacey!!!!

Thats EXACTLY what I was suggesting: perhpas Qo and B being the same :) Why on earth should YOU be involved in this???

Oh dear.

I hadnt even imagined it that way, this just proves how tones/expressions everything is sooo badly mishandled by technological mediation urrrgh. If only this was ftf, this wudnt hav happened.

And, no, I wasnt ever talking of the 'content' of any two discussions, i only said, we often disagree on this forum, but we dont go about deleting everything we said in the face of that disagreement. I still hold that to be true.

Is everything cleared up now Misspacey?

B

talk about conspiracy theories! i merely joined and just thought i would comment as i had read both sides of the tale and i didn't want someone coming away from a forum feeling that they had no one to talk to. Call me a sap but i was trying to be considerate.

B

talk about conspiracy theories! i merely joined and just thought i would comment as i had read both sides of the tale and i didn't want someone coming away from a forum feeling that they had no one to talk to. Call me a sap but i was trying to be considerate.

M

======= Date Modified 09 Dec 2008 01:27:36 =======
No worries Phdbug - big misunderstanding! See my PM reply.

Mods, can you kindly close/delete this thread? As it's not offering nothing constructive but a case of crosswires.