Beat the Boredom Tactics

W

I do like the work I'm doing, but sometimes I find it all becomes very boring and tedious. Just sitting there reading, reading, reading, then writing, writing. And I think 'will it ever end?' and 'it's going to get much worse before it gets better'. I'd like to ask what tactics people use to counter the feelings of boredom (and dread) they may get sometimes? Hopefully, I can learn by example :-)

B

Hi there,

yes, I know what you mean! Or especially those times when really you should be very busy but just can't seem to get going! I find red wine helps and a good chat/moan/grump (delete as appropriate) with chums who haven't died of boredom listening to the chat/moan/grumps associated with continuing PhD life. I believe that's why there is an opportunity for acknowledgements - so that all the long suffering friends/partners/families/ random people in shops or at bus stops can be formally thanked for putting up with it.

On a serious note, lists are good so that tasks can be ticked off. I actually have a special pen so that it gives me a bit of a cmile when I've ticked something off - this is clearly sad, I know, but you've got to survive somehow....good luck...:p

S

i have an origami calendar that sits on my desk, and when i get really bored i do the 'fold of the day' - again, this is probably pretty sad but whatever gets you through ;-)

(and in case you are wondering, which you probably aren't but I'm going to tell you anyway, today's fold was 'Boat and paddles', which was good, but not as impressive as yesterday's 'Pig'!) :p

P

Love the origami idea- have to get myself one of those!(up)

'Magic-eye' pictures can kill many an hour!

W

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Might try getting into origami or looking at magic eye pictures, sounds more fun than just being left alone with my thoughts when I'm bored, since many of them are quite negative at the moment anyway. I'm thinking of joining the gym, actually. So, when my brain turns to mush I can at least try to get rid of the rest of the mush on my body, imposed by being stationary all day. Plus it's supposed to be good for your state of mind too. :-)