Before Departure

S

Hi Everyone!!

I am an Asian prospective DPhil student of Oxford. I have obtained funding and financially secured. CAn anyone kindly spare some thoughts and opinions of pertinent things that I should prepare before arriving in Oxford? My first visit abroad and would like to be equipped with all the necessary things...

Thank you very much for your time and thought!!

Regards
Sandra

W

In Oxford, never trust a man whose eye brows meet in the middle. Burger King burgers are better than McDonalds. Buy a bike - everybody rides bikes in Oxford. Never accept sweets from strangers. Erm, it's late and that's all I can think of for now.

S

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
List of things to remember:
1. Extra cash (for downpayments or use before you open a bank account here)
2. 1 big warm coat (better to be warmer)
3. Bedsheet/pillow case (choose the lightest) (some places dont provide)
4. small pack of spices/food/things you really like to eat (from your home country)
5. lots of tissue paper (you dont want to rush around buying tissue in your 1st few days here)
6. an extra handphone for your UK sim card (so u dont have to buy a new cell immediately)
7. 1 pair of warm gloves (the rest you can buy here)
8. 1 good lipgloss/lip balm (before u have time to settle down your lips may be stressed)
9. an extra set of spectacles (u dont want to risk breaking anything, plus spectacles are expensive in UK)

Make sure:
1. you have comfortable shoes to wear (you'll be walking a lot)
2. you use luggage-bags with wheels (buy a really good one)
3. you are warmly clothed (it may be cold during flights/in airports)

List of things to cut down
1. Stationery (bring those only absolutely necessary)
2. Toiletries (these are relatively inexpensive here)
3. canned food (dont bring these unless u really need)
4. pots and pans (my friends did this, and were forced to abandon at airport)

ok happy getting ready
from satchi