Best internet package?

J

I'd like to get internet access at home - can anyone recommend a good package? I don't really know much about it at the moment.

T

I think virgin media (previously NTL) have some good tv/phone/broadband packages.. But I don't know much about the reliability of the service. I did used to use virgin for broadband before it merged with NTL and it was ok.. Just the customer service people there are terrible.

Personally I use orange broadband but that is only because I get it free with my mobile phone package :o)

H

Virgin media are useless.

Sky broadband is excellent, if you have sky that is.

J

I don't have Sky, just Freeview (which is also useless, but that's another story). What don't you like about Virgin, H?

What kind of prices do you pay?

B

I've always found BT Broadband reliable (... but I only get the 'basic' package - it does the job fine!).

W

I've never had a problem with Virgin Media, or NTL prior, in that the connection has never let me down, but customer service is damn crappy. I also think that it's a little pricey too if you just opt to pay for broadband on its own. If you do plan on downloading lots of media and programs then I'd recommend it.

S

Hi
We went on Uswitch and did a search on what's available in our area, linked to people's reviews of the companies, prices, and speeds. I would really recommend trying it out.
We also then rang a couple of companies. We chose to go with sky - but they messed up big time and forgot to tell BT to upgrade our phoneline meaning we didn't have broadband for nearly two months (and ran up a huge dial up bill as we can't live without the internet). We then plumped for AOL - who I've had before. They set everything up very quickly - well within the 10 days they said it would take, and their helpline was really easy to get through to with staff who knew what they were talking about.
I've heard TalkTalk is very cheap, but I know a few people who've had problems.

J

Thanks everyone.

I tried AOL but they seem to need a BT phone number, which I don't have. Can you get a package that is just internet (I already have a mobile and don't really want to switch)?