dilemma

M

Hello everyone,
I need to know if I am being a bit paranoid regarding the attitude of some academics at my institution. Basically, they have decided to make the upgrade process harder to ensure that they can get rid of those they think won't make it at an early stage.This is to get the power away from supervisors' over the fate of their Phd candidate as some are too optimistic about their potentials and are protective of them. They supposedly believe that it is better because it will ensure that those who won't make it are not given false impressions and don't waste their and others' time. I felt it was aimed at me directly as this was said while staring at me during the whole speech! Plus, this will be implemented when it will be my time to upgrade.
Also, I have long been under the impression that said persons do not believe in my capabilities and believe I have been overestimated by my supervisor. This is confirming my fears!I feel like they wanted someone else instead of me to get the funding. Are they trying to warn me? Get rid of me? I am so upset and angry!

U

Hello majar

I would suggest to work hard and get a publication, at least a conference publication, before your upgrade. You may need to collaborate with your other friends, colleagues and supervisor for this. Also discuss with your supervisor and ensure a thoroughly scrutinized research proposal.

Hope this helps.

T

If you keep 'evidence' of your abilities and progress then they won't have any grounds for complaint. Keep documents about publications, conferences, seminars, meetings, results - anything that states your case that you are a good PhD student and deserve to be where you are.

U

Also, I have long been under the impression that said persons do not believe in my capabilities and believe I have been overestimated by my supervisor. This is confirming my fears!I feel like they wanted someone else instead of me to get the funding. Are they trying to warn me? Get rid of me? I am so upset and angry!

On a second thought, why do these other people have such impression of you? Do you have an elevated opinion of yourself? In any case, you must work hard and keep a record of your being good student as TreeofLife suggested, to repel any of the bad impressions instead of thinking that someone wants to steal your funding.