Doctoral graduate from 2003/04 to 2005/06?

S

Doctoral impact and careers tracking study

The UK funding councils and RCUK are carrying out a study of PhD graduates to examine their career pathways, their impact in employment, and how their skills contribute to innovation and growth.

As part of this work, doctoral graduates from 2003-04 to 2005-06 are invited to take part in an impact and careers survey which will be open until 31 May 2013.

The aim is to improve understanding of the impact of doctoral training over the medium to long-term. Questions focus on the importance of research skills and expertise developed during doctoral training in gaining employment; the extent to which the doctoral degree experience enabled graduates to progress towards their long-term career aspirations; the relevance and importance of their doctoral training in contributing to key activities in their roles.

The survey is available now. Thank you.

http://www.snapsurveys.com/swh/surveylogin.asp?k=136698381509

Done.

S

Thank you!

I'll put up a link to the above on the Linkedin groups and that should attract a little more attention for you.

What I don't understand is why don't you post out letters to people who received funding for that period via the various Universities they attended. The alumni organisations will have up-to-date contact information for many previous doctoral candidates and could forward such letters on (thus not disclosing information an alumni doesn't want them to) with details on how to take the surveys, either via an enclosed form or the website address.

The one thing I would advise above all else is anyone wanting to take a doctorate, be advised to talk over with a careers advisor their options and the potential effect on their career aspirations once they complete a doctorate. Many employers have a negative perception of doctorate holders, which can make job hunting difficult and even bar doctorate holders from certain jobs (i.e. overqualified, will get bored, will move on quickly as soon as something better comes along, etc.).

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

S

Thank you for adding the link to LinkedIn - that's great and much appreciated.

In terms of posting letters that would be down the the research agency actually managing the survey - we're just supporting their efforts to contact doctoral graduates from 2003-04 to 2005-06.

Thanks, Sarah.

Bump!!!

Anyone else? The more feedback, the better so the PhD experience can be made better and be more professional for those that follow.

Some posters here must know of people who gradutated during the 2003/2004 to 2005/2006 period?

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)