Droping out of PhD - opinions anyone?

G

======= Date Modified 02 06 2009 19:06:07 =======
Hi all, this is my first post here in the forum so I am hoping to get lots of replies : )
Ok, so I've been a PhD student for a year and a bit now but I have had enough and I am ready to throw in the towel!
So a bit on my history:
I am a biologist by trade but I accepted a PhD in chemistry my project has nothing to do with chemistry but, there we go! So I came in and, on my first day of work I was told that I needed to do assessed modules so I was forced (still am, actually) to do all these pointless modules. After that I found out that the lab I was supposed to work was not set up and no post doc was assigned to this project even though everyone else in my groups is from chemistry! So I left it a couple of months, hopping the supervisor would take charge. No such luck though. I had to set up the lab myself, this included buying everything from furniture to consumables, etc. So I finally started doing some work in December but everything is going really slowly because I am alone and I have 3 months experience in the lab (in a different field from the one I am now). In the meantime whenever I need help or direction all I get is oh I don't know.
Now my dilemma is, I really like my project and I think it could "take me places" but I don't think I am able to finish a PhD in these conditions. I mean I am a year into this and I have nothing, no results, no publications....
What does everyone think?

S

hi! its nice reading a post from someone who changed fields. May I say, WELL DONE for setting up the lab and doing everything y yourself!!! If you really like your project and think it can take u places, I think you should persevere and go all out for it. Why not. You have only been one year into it. Of course you will have to consider working under these conditions, but remember that these conditions or situations may even change in future, for example you might meet someone helpful......If your interest for the project exceeds your apprehension (of your working conditions), then stay and make this phd.

Please let me share with you some true stories. I know 2 friends who did their MScs, supervised by supervisors who didnt really supervise them. Somehow these supervisors had secured grants for projects of which they had no expertise. My friends struggled, one completed his MSc in 5 years, the other took 4 years. Someone else I know, took 6 years to do her PhD (under poor working conditions, poor supervision). Another brilliant guy I know, working on cancer genes, is in his 6th PhD year and now waiting for a viva date (with good working conditions, good supervision!).

I have another true story about publications. For my MSc. I got results for samples of which my ex-supervisor's star student had not obtained any results (!!!). And because they had published a paper one year earlier, she did not want to publish my work because my results contradicted those of her star student. I thought it was unfair. Communication with my ex-supervisor was also next to impossible. Even before my viva date I had secured another scholarship to do my phd, so I just left that behind. After all that hard work, I also don't have any publication. Now I am busy with this phd...and coping..coping..

Another true story about first degrees (not that it has anything to do with phd--but about TIME). I know a guy who took NINE years to complete his BA. And another guy who took TEN years to get his BSc!!! The 9-year BA guy was in his 30s and the 10-year BSc. guy was in his 40s. Now the BA guy is looking for a job, and the BSc. guy is doing his MSc.

...I took 4 years to do my BSc. because it was a 4-year programme, I had to work and support myself through this BSc. It was very difficult. And then I took 2 years to do my MSc. I would like to finish this phd in 3 years. Its a new area for me so I know I have to work extra hard. I really like the project. So I will rough it out.

Don't let one year's struggle discourage you.

M

wow if that's not enough motivation...nice post Satchi. I agree with what Satchi said.
Actually Chemistry is a subject you should take your time for. Rushing in something won't get you the results you wish.
Well saying that, I am not from this field but I have relatives and a friend which obtained a PhD in Chemistry. My friend took 5 years and that is total average in this subject in my Country. Just reading your last sentences reveals what you realy want. You like this Project. So you should keep on doing research in this field.

I'am lucky with my Sup, he supports me very well and tries to help out when I'am stucked (even though he is not familiar with my subject). Trust me I'am not used to this. Professors/Supervisors in the past never really had an interest in my studies, so I was forced to work alone and when I was stucked I had to get advice from outside my University, I was used to that.
If you do not mind working hard than you should not care about the Supervisor.
Changing Supervisors and so on is just stress I woul not personnely like to go through. Think about it would you really want to give up 1 year of struggle in a Project you like only because other factors are not right...jeez you even build up the lab! Motviation exists and you like the project, that should be enough, in my opinion.

Ps: As long as you do not suffer frrom social or mental problems.

G

======= Date Modified 28 Apr 2009 22:40:08 =======
Wow, you guys are quick!
Well, changing supervisor is not an options since I am getting paid by a grant that was directly given to the sup and not the college. My biggest problem is that all the stress is really getting to me, I mean, I can barely sleep, I'm working all the time and when I'm not I'm thinking about work. Also I'm kind of scare that when it comes time to do my viva I will be expected to know all this chemistry (that i don't know and have no interest in knowing really) and I have no clue on who is going to correct my thesis, I mean all my work in in cells and everyone else is from chemistry! I got an interview for another PhD, I really want to do a PhD I just need a bit, not a lot, of support!
Also I only have 3 more years to finish the PhD, further extensions are not even considered!

D

first: I think its standard to have a taught aspect to your PhD in the first year - I don't know anyone who didn't. Second, even though you are not receiving great supervision PhD research has to be somewhat self directed and certainly you will do all the work. It seems that you are pretty motivated as you have done loads already. Keep going and build relationships which may help you get what you want. Third - your viva will not be with someone who is not expert in YOUR field, you may have some input into this - Good luck :-)

M

Trust me! You are not the only one who is struggling! Perhaps this is not a very helpful statement in itself, it is nevertheless aimed to make you realize that you are not alone. It is something! :-)
I don't know what is the percentage of students here who struggle on different fronts. The total lack of supervision, poor supervision, psychologically destructive :-) supervision etc are what many of us have to deal with. I am one of them. The fields and causes might differ but problem remains usually the same.

I cannot count on my supervisor when it comes to my research method design and it makes me very stressed and frustrated. I'm going from 'I can do this' to 'I am useless' every day, but I keep on going. I read, read and read. I search for similar research, I email experts from other Unis asking for their assistance and praying they would agree to 'have a look' at my work and sometimes I get good, great sometimes poor results, but because (and we have this in common) I love what I do (topic) and I know what I want and what I need my PhD for, this keeps me going! Seek help always and wherever you can (of course I refer to people and sources relevant to your research only lol).

Good luck,

M