Formatting problem

C

This time is not about the thesis at least!

I am formatting a document with endnotes, and I must remove the continuation separator (the line above the notes in every page). How do I do that? I tried anything I could think off, but the result is the same: I either delete the whole text, or the separator remains in its position.

Any advice from anyone?
(I know it's an odd question especially in the middle of the night :p ) Many thanks in advance!

B

Have you searched Word's built-in help for clues? Try searching for "continuation".

In my ancient (2001 v.X) Mac version of Word searching the built-in help for "continuation" comes up with a solution. Presumably you can do something similar in your version.

Change or remove a note separator
1. Switch to normal view.
2. On the View menu, click Footnotes.
3. In the note pane, click All Footnotes or All Endnotes.
4. To change the separator that appears between the document text and notes, click Footnote Separator or Endnote Separator.
To change the separator for notes that continue from the previous page, click Footnote Continuation Separator or Endnote Continuation Separator.
5. To edit the separator, make the changes you want.
To remove the separator, select it, and then press DELETE. To restore the default separator, click Reset.

C

Thanks Bilbo,

I looked at it, but perhaps because I have vista, I don't have the same functions. I looked at word help and it says exactly the same things that you list, but I cannot see the "Endnote continuation notice" function anywhere. It's frustrating to say the list.

I am going to play with it a bit more and see if I get any wiser...thank you in the meantime!

A

What about this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxlW0Q80-0w - chap doesn't actually say he's got Vista but it looks like it Vista to me on his screen.

I'd probably change the font to white and then cope with the disastrous consequences of having loads of hidden info all over the page in white font at a later date :p

C

Ady you are a genius!!!!!!!

It works!!!! I wouldn't have got there in a million years..

Thank you  (gift)

Sneaks - I am not ashamed to say that I even pasted a text box on the top of it and then clicked on white background to cover it, but didn't work -it reappeared in the print out!: :$

glad Ady's suggestion worked - my next one would have been tippex.

A

Quote From corinne:

Ady you are a genius!!!!!!!

Thank you  (gift)

:$ - wish my supv could hear you! glad it worked, gift gratefully received :-). I can open it while I wait for my draft to be returned. Afterall it's been five weeks - not that I'm counting or anything...

C

Ady -I am sure that your draft is excellent. I will keep my fingers crossed, but you won't need it.

My supervisor took over 6 weeks to read mine, so there may be a little bit more to wait. But the important thing is that you have your final draft, all the rest is just polishing and little adjustments.

Best of Luck ;-)

*P.S.

I will have to start a "What would I do without the Forum?" thread!!!

M

I just go through the post. it's really good one. Thank you for the information.

M

wow....really good one. Thank you for the information.

K

======= Date Modified 12 Aug 2011 10:10:20 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*edited by moderator- inappropriate content*