girls/fashionistas, I need help!

I have an interview coming up for a post doc. I don't know what to wear!

I'm not sure a suit is appropriate?? - is it? I have no idea. I know it feels a bit formal for me, but then I guess if I turn up in the waiting room and everyone is wearing suits then I'll look like a moron. I'm not sure a suit will be a bit hot for mid july?

I was thinking about plain black shoes, plain black trousers and something like this (I have a black version and the fake shirt underneath is white with black small polkadots) http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/tailoredlooks/19/4

Or maybe just go with a shirt? and buy a suit jacket to take with me in case???

Can you tell I'm channelling the anxiety into clothing rather than revising research stuff for it!?

N

I think that sort of look would be fine Sneaks, in terms of formality in the summer a shirt/blouse with a collar would be fine, I think it is too hot to wear a jacket. If you want to treat yourself I think that top from Next is nice, like the cut of the shirt. If I were dressing for an interview I would wear a pencil skirt with a collared blouse, something a bit fashion-y but not overly so, that is just because I prefer wearing skirts to trousers. Good luck! Nx

J

I have always been amazed (comeing from a corporate background) at what academics deem suitable attire for things like interviews - they are far more relaxed.

I think what you are think of looks great - not sure that a jacket would go well over the jumper & fake blouse (am sure they have a proper name but don't know what it is) ensemble. A Jacket over a shirt woudl be fine.

Make sure you have a nice bag with you and also (and this is my dad's tip for when i was first looking for jobs 22 years ago) you have polished your shoes!

Stressing over the clothes is more productive and less stressful than over the actual interview content.

Good Luck!

B

======= Date Modified 08 Jul 2010 17:19:14 =======
If I were in your shoes I would wear a shirt. I think not only because it's more bon ton but also neutral. An elegant blouse could be also fine. And no need to have jacket I think if it's warm. I would need a jacket or a coat here in Scotland. Good luck for your interview.

I've had a scout round for shirts - I can't seem to find any nice long sleeve ones apart from TM lewin. Might have to go to bravissimo to get one that actually buttons up around the boobage!

Would you wear it tucked in or out?

Do you think this would be ok - tucked out, with black trousers? - seems quite dull, but safe I guess??

http://www.bravissimo.com/products/clothing/shirts-and-tops/bravissimo/cc02-details.aspx?colour=white&ck=0vrbFpYh92Q%3d

A

======= Date Modified 08 Jul 2010 17:53:03 =======
I'd say what you're thinking of is fine sneaks. Definitely polish your shoes and make sure your hems are ok, otherwise you'll look a bit tatty. And I've heard bravissimo are brilliant for proper fitting shirts, my mate actually flies to london to stock up every few months. Only make sure you aren't rushing around before the interview, sweaty marks are super visible with shirts!!
Good luck!! (up)

I'd tuck the shirt in btw, it looks more professional, wear a light patterned scarf if you want to hide any lumps or bumps!!

S

Oooh, they do properly fitted shirts? Excellent! I have terrible trouble with them as I'm slightly larger around the old boobs than my 'size' and whereas I'm a size 12 so that fits around my waist etc a size 12 blouse just won't do up and gapes - very bad look! I normally need a size 16 to go round at the top but that just hangs like a sack on the rest of me - its hard!

I really wouldn't want to tuck the shirt in :-( not until I've lost 3 stone!

Its going to be really hard, because its 4 hours away on the train - travelling across london on tubes in the middle - from my house, so I'm worried about a shirt getting crumpled. And its not in a big area - so can't really nip into a M&S toilet or something to change beforehand, which was why I was thinking the jumpery thing might be better because it can't get creased - argh its so stressful!

Quote From stressed:

Oooh, they do properly fitted shirts? Excellent! I have terrible trouble with them as I'm slightly larger around the old boobs than my 'size' and whereas I'm a size 12 so that fits around my waist etc a size 12 blouse just won't do up and gapes - very bad look! I normally need a size 16 to go round at the top but that just hangs like a sack on the rest of me - its hard!

yep - I have exactly the same problem with 'normal' shirts. Bravissimo are expensive though - £35 for a shirt (well thats expensive for me at the mo!) - but I guess a plain white shirt that actually fits is a staple that I need in my wardrobe

J

You can always take your clothes in a wheely bag and change in the loo at the university and then leave your bag with the reception desk / secretary / pa/ whoever.

I didn't know that bravissimo sold shirts for curvey girls - def need to get some of those as I can't get shirts that fit across my amble cleavage.

S

yes, it is quite expensive isn't it, but then as you say its an essential part of a wardrobe and if you can get one that does up without hanging/gaping its got to be a good thing

S

Quote From sneaks:

Do you think this would be ok - tucked out, with black trousers? - seems quite dull, but safe I guess??

http://www.bravissimo.com/products/clothing/shirts-and-tops/bravissimo/cc02-details.aspx?colour=white&ck=0vrbFpYh92Q%3d

very nice :-)
love satchi

Z

Like this thread! :) Think the polka dot outfit sounds good - formal and fashionable. Totally agree with everyone about Bravissimo - when I'm no longer a student and can afford it, I will have a very well-fitting wardrobe...sigh. Oh, and lots of luck Sneaks!

A

While it is expensive, think of it as an investment...a properly fitting shirt/clothes in general can help you feel more confident about yourself especially going for interviews, you will look professional and therefore feel more professional, and that comes across to your interviewers. Plus if it's a good quality shirt, it will last for ages, so it's actually more cost effective than buying 5 shirts that fit poorly and wash out very quickly from M&S or something! :p
And finally, if you can get one with that kind of stretchy fabric instead of plain cotton it wont crumple as much as other shirts, and holds it's shape well when you are wearing it. Not sure if Bravissimo do these though, but it's worth a look! The shirt/tanktop combo is still dead on for interview though I'd imagine!