HELP!!! Problem with Adobe reader making changes to my computer...

N

Sorry for the drama but I really don't know what do to and I'm terrible with computers!

I scanned some images into my computer then saved them onto my brother's memory stick, he needed them for his uni course. He then couldn't find them on his memory stick (I later found them as he wasn't looking properly) so I did a search on my computer. I found something then had to select which program to use to open it, because I used Adobe to scan it I selected Adobe.

Then all of the desktop icons apart from the Word ones changed to the Adobe icon, and I couldn't open anything properly as it said that it wasn't supported by Adobe. I restarted (didn't work), so tried a few things along the lines of restoring defaults but didn't want to do too much in case I lost anything. The only thing that works is if I uninstall Adobe, then it all returns to normal. I then restarted and tried to install Adobe again and all the icons went back again, so I uninstalled it.

I hope this makes sense, basically I need Adobe to read pdfs and put them onto Mendelay so I really need to install it again, but I don't want it to ruin my computer. I hope there is a simple solution to this!

Thanks in advance, Nx

P

I don't get that story. Do you mean Adobe Acrobat or Photoshop or Acrobat Reader or some other product?

M

I never heard of this before...

I don't get why the desktop icons would change to Adobe - unless they are pdf files rather than links to locations on your computer or other programs? If they are pdf files then it seems like you changed your default program to open a pdf with to Adobe. And possibly the installation didn't work properly for some reason e.g. it's for a different version of your operating system than the one you're actually using.

But why do you need Adobe at all? It's not the only pdf reader and editor out there, there are many good quality free alternatives available. I use pdf xchange viewer and it's pretty good. You could try downloading that instead.