how to be motivated?

H

my mind starts wandering off after 10 minutes of work. :(

I eat to deal with the guilt.

I like my topic, but I am an eternal procrastinator and I am so disorganized nowadays.

R

Do you like music? For me, good quality earphones (office)/headphone(home) keep me in the desk. I listen mostly instrumental music, so I do not get away with music. Try to keep a strict rules such as, no fb at office and fb once a day at home.
Try to listen concentration music (google for Kelly Howell High focus, you can find a clip in youtube also). I am not sure, if I am allowed to post a weblink here
Keeping consistency in work is very hard. But if you are not working on a daily basis, there would not be a progress.
How do you plan your daily activities? Try to schedule daily or weekly tasks. Appreciate yourself with small gifts, if you accomplish them within time limit.
Think about outcome of the focused work, in terms of journal article and at the end graduating ph.d.

T

Good advice Rubygem! I also follow these strategies :) Well, except the FB one - I like minute distractions!

I

Agree with rubygem except for me NO FACEBOOK!!! Not worth it anymore and it's depressing. I'm like you as well but I force myself through willpower and thinking about the end result to overcome the distractions. Otherwise if they're too strong, I go for a 15 minute walk before working again.

R

Quote From TreeofLife:
except the FB one - I like minute distractions!

My distractions are office colleagues (literally chatter boxes are there!), news webpage, bike forum, head phone forum and post graduate forum.

@ OP, if you eat too much, you can not focus!

C

Quote From hella13:
my mind starts wandering off after 10 minutes of work. :(

Pretty sure this is normal. :P It's easy to become distracted. Try the Pomodoro Technique. You concentrate on work and nothing else for 25 minutes at a time, then take a 5 minute break. You could adapt it to 10 mins and build yourself up to 25?

I eat to deal with the guilt.

I like my topic, but I am an eternal procrastinator and I am so disorganized nowadays.

This however, sounds like some kind of anxiety towards working, and being disorganised is one of the symptoms of anxiety. Medicating yourself with food is also of concern. I would suggest seeing a counsellor and a doctor about the possibility of treatment.

S

Thats not so difficult i think. You must have an aim and try to reach it as soon as you can how diificult it only can be - don't stop.

J

For me the best way to be motivated is to really want something. I will rich it not matter how i will try to do it as soon as i can and i will find any way to earn money and get it (if it needs money)