Inspiring, sustaining or just funny quotes

P

Inspired by my wonderful colleague here (yes Wally, it's you) I thought it'd be good for us to contribute to a quotes bank! Source them from great people, little people, things you heard on the tube, things you read on a newspaper s'one else was reading, things you remember from a film you watched 15 years ago.....anything...

One thing - at the start put in ** the nature of the quote - inspirational/for times of distress/healing/just funny/totally random etc!

Let the bank begin!!

Bug

Worringly - between a conversation of in-training primary school teachers

"I don't understand why limescale isn't green"

M

Here are a few, all by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe :

* Consolation when enduring student poverty:

"Everything in the world may be endured except continued prosperity."

* A good motto for us all?

"Nothing is worse than active ignorance."

* The importance of having a bit of fun (though I'm not sure about the 'reasonable words'):

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."

* When writing up:

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy."

* And here is my favourite (I'm trying to bear this in mind as I start my literature review...):

"Whatever you can do or dream, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."

P

Fascinating!!

W

Ohhh, I like this thread. I've got loads to do before the night is over, so I can only think of one off the top of my head without expounding on the inspirational life philosophiser, Sylvester Stallone. I heard the quote below a while back in a conversation between two old ladies about the bad driving of the bus driver, whilst we were all getting off the bus (before I could drive). Erm, I think they meant to say erratic...

*Funny quote*

"His driving was so erotic"

*general wisdom*

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

Harold Thurman

I'll try and think of some more while Come Dine With Me is on.

M

*On binge drinking*

" I like to have a martini, Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table, after four I'm under my host."

Dorothy Parker

M

*Inspiration for writing-up*

"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again."

Oscar Wilde

======= Date Modified 29 Nov 2009 21:56:36 =======
Ooohh Miss Space I love that Oscar Wilde quote - it sums up so much of the deliberation we go through. *As a counterpoint* and *advice for the nerdy on how to pull*:

'And DON'T go on about the tragic demise of the semi-colon'

Bunny (Simon Farnaby) advising the romantcally challenged and nerdy PhD student-like Stephen (Edward Hogg) on how not to chat up the object of his affections, in Bunny and the Bull (2009) - the new Mighty Boosh film. It made me laugh out loud when I saw it yesterday, because the demise of the semi-colon and the wasted literary opportunities it represents is on my mind quite a bit at the moment. Moi? un nerd???? hmmm