Just want to complain....

K

Having a rubbish day, make that week actually. The days seem to keep passing me by and I'm not getting anything done, not really sure what I'm meant to be getting done! 18 months in, no results, no experiments planned for the near future...not really sure how to make this better. All the experiments I propose are too expensive or not convienient...back to the drawing board. Just fancied having a bit of a rant, I feel better now :)

S

hey katq, same here (though different discipline). sometimes i get really stressed by how much others are doing - everybody seems to be "finishing a stage of fieldwork", "starting on phase 2 of fieldwork", "doing more fieldwork than planned", etc. and i am still stuck to this desk and not leaving it soon, either.

doesn't help. just do your own thing

we are going our own, roundabout way, but we will get there, too!

B

This is all part of the 'PhD process'. As Shani said, don't worry about anybody else and get on with your own work.

Now stop ranting, get your head down, and ... do your PhD!!!

J

Shani: they're probably telling fibs

T

oooo can i join in the rant.. Don't you just hate it when people leave communal lab equiptment in a mess? Or use up the last of a reagent without reordering it? Or just pinching stuff off your bench to use for themselves? I have a fellow PhDer in my lab who does all of the above and it really gets on my nerves!!

L

oooo can i wander in on this one too, I've stopped talking to people doing their PhD's in my department cos it was making me so ruddy depressed, but i'll tell u right now they all lie. My supervisor was amazed to hear what they had supposedly done when I was on a particularly low ebb and telling her how behind I was with regard to them. Turns out they all fib, thats whats so wonderful about talking to people on here, we have no reason to lie and for the first time im not panicking nearly as much, thank you all!!!!