lecture tips

I've got to lecture a group of 250 students. I *want* to make it more than a 'presentation', but stuck on how. I'm worried that any group task or discussion may descend into an uncontrollable racket of conversation and me being unable to get them back to concentrating or even to shut up so I can carry on with the lecture afterwards.

Any ideas?

A

Not much beyond be really clear how much time you are giving them to 'discuss' among themselves. If it's ten minutes, remind them again at five minutes and make sure you have a good clear, LOUD microphone. Many of them probably won't listen but some of them should. Also when you are going to call them to order you could flip to a new slide. Nothing calls a lecture hall to order more than a new slide which they will all start transcribing furiously, in my experience!

R

i agree with the changing slide approach...surely, they will shut up once you start speaking again unless they are a very rude bunch?  in which case, i can offer you my west-Belfast security service which is a mere ten grand an hour for a professional and thorough threat of force! :p

M

Hi Sneaks,

Have you looked at some of the TED talks? If not you need to check them out. Most of these talks are only few minutes long and needless to say, are very effective and given to a large audience. (up)

http://www.ted.com/talks

I am sure you can find someone or some style which you can emulate from here and then go from there.

Cheers