Lecturing Interview, Presentation

M

I'll be interviewing for a lecturer/senior lecturer post in the UK shortly.
They've asked me to prepare a 15 minute presentation suitable for final year undergraduates within my field (commerce faculty).

Has anyone been through this process before?
- Should I deliver it lecture style?
- Or small group seminar/tutorial style?
- What does the presentation evaluate: academic/subject content, presentation/language skills, or pedagogic technique?
- Is it better to err on the side of accessibility/deliverability and avoid technical material?
- Is there any point using LaTeX/Beamer, or just keep it simple with Powerpoint?

Thanks!

M

I'd suggest that you stick with simple PPT, and don't get too technical in either the delivery or content. They'll want to see awareness of what final year undergrads know/don't know in terms of the overall pitch of the content, but I think they'll most likely mainly be assessing your delivery, the clarity of the material, your ability to explain it. I would do it lecture style too, as that seems most appropriate for an interview, but perhaps say at the beginning that you chose this over seminar style so that they are aware that you considered both approaches. I have not had such an interview in the UK - this is just my view about interviewing for academic posts in general, especially at this level.

O

Quote From Machonza:

I'd suggest that you stick with simple PPT, and don't get too technical in either the delivery or content. They'll want to see awareness of what final year undergrads know/don't know in terms of the overall pitch of the content, but I think they'll most likely mainly be assessing your delivery, the clarity of the material, your ability to explain it. I would do it lecture style too, as that seems most appropriate for an interview, but perhaps say at the beginning that you chose this over seminar style so that they are aware that you considered both approaches. I have not had such an interview in the UK - this is just my view about interviewing for academic posts in general, especially at this level.

I have to say that I agree with this entirely, especially the advice about the lecture style (although you probably won't get many students turn up!). Keep it simple. And yeah, use PPT, which is what most universities here in the UK have as standard.

All the best of luck with your interview!!