MAKING BEST USE OF TIME BETWEEN MSc AND STARTING PhD

L

I'll be submitting my MSc dissertation in June and starting PhD in late September (part-time). While I'll be taking a break in over the summer including a long holiday, any suggestions on what if anything I could usefully do to prepare for starting the PhD, to bridge the gap? Any tips or advice appreciated.

N

Hi, I had a gap over Christmas because I submitted my dissertation at the beginning of December and started my PhD in January. I was at the same university so there was some continuity which helped, I don't know if that is the case with you. I asked my supervisors what I should do and they basically told me to have a break because I would need it! They also gave me some questions to base an initial writing assessment on, so I had something clear to work towards.

So I would suggest having a break first, as the PhD is full-on from when you start. Depending on your subject area, maybe read and get to know some key texts and do some literature searching that will help you to establish your research question, as that is likely to change from your initial proposal (unless your project is already set out for you of course). Also ask your supervisors if there is anything they want you to do so that you can start fairly quickly, maybe something that will go towards your literature review. It is also a good idea to read some general books on the PhD process and academic writing so that you will feel more confident when you start.

Hope that's helped and good luck with the rest of your MSc! Nx

H

Have a rest. Take a break. Go on holiday. Indulge a hobby.

You'll be spending 3 years immersed in your project - enjoy the gap while you have it :)

B

======= Date Modified 28 Apr 2011 22:56:46 =======
I agree with HazyJane. You will have very little chance for a break once you start the PhD. Make the most of the break you have now.

B

Oh and this applies to part-time PhDs (mine was part-time too). They tend to take over your life, and good breaks - even for part-timers - can be very hard to fit in. If you're part-time you could be overwhelmed by a PhD for up to about 6/7 years. All the more reason for enjoying your break now.

L

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. I'll follow them up. I worked out that my MSc dissertation is about the equivalent of a chapter in a PhD thesis..... scary!

R

======= Date Modified 29 Apr 2011 10:42:48 =======
I had a month between submitting my MSc dissertation in September and starting my full time PhD in October last year and I asked my supervisor if I should do any work or just take a break and he near enough insisted that I spend my month off doing nothing and that's exactly what I did (I stayed at the same uni). I think it was a very good idea as it gave me chance to clear my head so I was able to focus when I started my PhD. Enjoy the time off while you have it :-)

B

Yes. Break. Sleep. Travel. Relax. Read that long, funny, unserious novel. Whatever helps you take a break. But also: Use the time to take care of personal busy-ness things, all those little loose ends of your non-intellectual life (taxes, wills, dentist appointment, finding that book you were supposed to send back to a friend, letter of thanks to a mentor, sorting through old documents, and trashing the ones you won't need, etc.). The clearer you get your life, and therefore your head, the better you will be able to concentrate on PhD. Make the summer you're chance for a clean start!

B

Quote From LBaines:

I worked out that my MSc dissertation is about the equivalent of a chapter in a PhD thesis..... scary!

I worked that out too, as I moved from my taught Masters to PhD. And it alarmed me, far more than it seemed to alarm my supervisor or fellow students. But I thought I'll give it my best shot, take my time, and hopefully it will be ok. And it worked out ok in the end 8-)

I was part-time too. You will have plenty of time to research and write your thesis. So don't be too intimidated by the scale of it. View it as a fun personal journey you are about to embark on. But make sure you take a very good complete break first.