MIlestone

K

This might seem a bit pointless, but I reached a personal milestone yesterday. I'm now 24 and I begin my PhD in October, and yesterday I finished working at a cafe I have worked in for the past couple of years. The reason why it was important to me was the fact that it might be the last low-paid, low-skill job I ever have to do (touch wood). I come from quite a poor background and thus have had to have a job since I was about 10. I started washing dishes for the chip shop downstairs and earned £1.20 an hour. Then at 12 I got a paper round which earned me about £15 a week (money went so much further 12 years ago), followed by a job again washing dishes in a hotel where my aunt worked. After that at 16 I got a job in a chicken factory (incidentally, this turned me vegetarian), followed by University where I worked in a stockroom for Next, followed by working as a refuse loader (binman) for my local council for a summer. Then I got a job in a snooker club, got attacked by a ned and decided to pack that in, which was followed by again washing dishes in a restaurant, although I got trained as an assistant chef eventually. Then I worked for Historic Scotland as a Steward which involved giving guided tours etc, but I still worked some evenings in the restaurant. Finally I ended up in this cafe even though I worked there before, left, and then came back again.

And so, I am taking tutorials whilst I do my PhD, on top of my scholarship, which is far better money than all of these jobs. For me, I feel so relieved to have hopefully put all this behind me. Some may find all this a bit uneventful but for me it represents the light at the end of the tunnel and it feels damn good.

Wow, you've done a lot of jobs! well done for reaching this point :-)

A

Killahtron, Congratulations! It is a good feeling isn't it! I also worked alot of jobs, although not as many as this, you beat me hands down, but I've worked in a good number of nursing homes and hotels from scrubbing dishes to cleaning rooms up to restaurant supervisor. But I remember leaving my job at hotel to start my PhD and the feeling I had!

I do remember my sup saying - are you a good waitress? to which I said, yes acually! And he said (and I should have known then what a tool he would turn out to be) - Good, just in case this doesn't work out for you and you mess up the PhD! Anyway, I'm pleased to say, i'm almost finished and although over the 4 years sometimes I've wondered what was so bad about waitressing, I know I would never want to go back to it full time.
I can't say i'm not working in a low paid job, but it is skilled so it could be worse! I work at my local science centre engaging adults and children with science, and I love it!

I really hope this is it for you and you can put those years behind you!

Enjoy the good feelings!
AL

K

For me, the money isn't that important either. It's the chance to finally engage in something I enjoy 100% of the time that is the most liberating thing about it.

A

Yep, i'm just the same! which unfortunately some people in your life may not understand - mainly my sup, which seems to have caused a rift between us this year (on his part anyway!).
Luckily, I know that it doesn't really matter to me, I mean, a little more money would be great, but only so I could earn more than I did on my phd bursary and can save more steadily for my future. But generally, I just love the job, and the reward I feel with each project I do is what I have craved for for years!

So just you enjoy that feeling of knowing you are putting your talents and abilities to good use! (up)

K

Well, I'm just away to start my PhD and I get the impression that I will get on well with my supervisor. He told me to work hard, but enjoy yourself as well and don't run yourself into the ground. He also said that I surely can't be doing what I'm doing for the money because if that was my goal I would have gotten a job in banking or something.

B

I'm very happy for you Killahtron :-) I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to being in your position. I'm 27 and I am now on job number 17. There have been some truly sh*tty ones in there! My current job is alright, but plenty of other people could just as easily do it, a point which frustrates me more than the poor pay. This is indeed a big milestone, and I think it takes a lot of long years struggling through horrible, mundane, poorly paid, low skill jobs to understand and fully appreciate just how important this is for you.

Congratulations! (tree)