New forum design - what do you think? Any problems?

R

You lot being the observant bunch you are, I’m sure you’ve noticed our new (and improved) forum design. I like it – I hope you do too when you get over the initial shock.

Any comments, problems, bugs, weird errors etc, please post on this thread or PM me.

Thank you!

H

Well whenever a forum I use gets changed my initial reaction is usually "Gagh!" and then eventually I get over it. :)

User names could be a bit more prominent but I get when people start using avatars it'll become clearer who's who.

An easy way to jump to the latest post on a thread before you go into the thread would be handy (i.e. when viewing the list of threads, I was expecting that if I clicked on 'latest post' it would take me there, but instead it gives me the profile of the last poster, which isn't terribly useful (if I want to know that I'll access that from one of their actual posts).

The 'abuse' button still amuses me - whenever I click it I'm half expecting a stream of auto-generated invectives to appear. ;-)

I can't say I miss the old colour scheme - it was a bit too candy-sickly for my liking, plus a bit garish for those surreptitious procrastination moments in an open plan office! This is much cleaner.

Hazy

I think I like it. I like the avatars - been wanting to have a proper representation of Batfink! And being able to read the post just before your own while writing a reply is a big improvement - on a busy thread I'd forget who said what while I was typing.

Being able to sort the threads so you see either first post first or latest post first would be handy - that's good for long-running threads but also makes it easy for reading through new threads.

S

Like the new forum layout and colour scheme, but there is one thing that is bugging me! In the 'posts' column, some threads that have no replies have a '0' in this column, but some have a '1'. I know it's a minor thing, but I take a '1' to mean that there is the original question + 1 reply, and a '0' to mean that there is the original question but no replies. Therefore all the questions with no replies should have a 0, but instead there is a mixture of '0' and '1'.

R

These are all good points, I'm passing them on, keep them coming...

A

I would like the name of the user who created the thread to also be visible, not just the user with the most recent post to the thread.

Change is hard!!

H

Quote From ady:
I would like the name of the user who created the thread to also be visible, not just the user with the most recent post to the thread.

Change is hard!!

That's a good point - it's especially useful for long/ongoing threads for remembering what they might be about, or ones with similar/vague names.

B

I think the new design crashed the mobile Safari browser on my iPod touch the other day. It seems to be more intensive / loading, and the wee device was not happy. I've since used it a couple of times on the iPod, without crashing, but I only used it for a really short time. It's sort of putting me off using the forum ...

Quote From Reenie:
You lot being the observant bunch you are, I’m sure you’ve noticed our new (and improved) forum design. I like it – I hope you do too when you get over the initial shock.

Any comments, problems, bugs, weird errors etc, please post on this thread or PM me.

Thank you!

Reenie,

nice stuffs here. pretty useful. though recently signed in and found almost everything amazing.

cheers,

Nurik

Ady and HazyJane's suggestions about the original author is spot on - I look for Pineapple's name on her thread about waiting for her results (stay strong, Pineapple!).

Also, are there some oddities going on? The EdD or not to EdD thread seems to have no posts at all (even the original one) although there are 3 listed :)

B

When I click on a thread it takes me to the start of it, not to the latest posts. So I end up having to click again to see the most recent posts, especially in the longer-running threads. Could this be changed? Or maybe I'm clicking wrongly ;)

Please keep the feedback coming. The EdD thread has been restored to it's former glory, and we're working on the message count problem. We'll also be sorting out a convenient way to get to the most recent post.

Don't forget you can now host your own blogs here - click the MyBlog link to get started.

D

Too homogenous

Quote From DocInsanity:
Too homogenous

Definatly too homogenous

Quote From Pete:
Quote From DocInsanity:
Too homogenous

Definatly too homogenous

Totally Agree, too homogenous.