No ties to dictate an uncertain future...

S

Hi everyone - a newbie here.

I'm nearing the end of an arts Masters (music), which I left a reasonable enough admin job to undertake. I'm in my late 30s, have a decade+ of various job experience (with a leaning towards the dreaded admin), and am currently sofa-surfing post-relationship-break-up whilst applying madly for - and not getting - various jobs.

I'm feeling pressure to get a job in order to afford to rent somewhere to live in order to finish my Masters work before I outstay my welcome on people's sofas - but for whatever reason (being too qualified / underselling myself or not managing to be convincing enough about my enthusiasm for the job in interviews / etc) I just can't secure anything.

Someone recently spelled out for me how I could view my situation in a positive light - whereby I have no mortgage / family / relationship - indeed, *anything* to tie me down anywhere (once I've finished the Masters, that is) - and thus the world is my oyster.

So the issue I'm ruminating about concerns just what someone in my situation could do. Assuming that my main passion/academic experience (writing/producing music) is not strictly vocational and isn't going to land me my dream job (I'm, um, an 'artist' rather than a 'technician'), does anyone have any pearls of wisdom about what a keen-to-re-enter-the-workforce, jack-of-several-trades/master-of-none, reasonably-educated, artistic type who's becoming increasingly confused/disillusioned/distracted and whose self-esteem is plummeting below ground level very quickly could do?

Failing that, words of encouragement would be welcome, I'll certainly keep on keeping on applying for jobs...

Thanks!

B

Hi SmallGreenElk,

Have you thought about starting up your own business? You might be able to get a grant from princes trust or something else like that if you have a good idea and a good business proposal. Maybe you could make it music related? If you play a musical instrument (which I'm guessing you do) then perhaps you could teach at an hourly rate. This way you get to choose your own working hours and at least it will give you an income til you get your dream job. :-)

S

Thanks for the input Bumble,

Scary stuff - I have no idea what I could run a business doing! Instrumental tuition may work over time; I guess my current problem concerns, more immediately, securing a full-time job in order to be able to afford to rent accommodation. Once those basics are in place I can start thinking beyond that. Hmmm....

C

I finished my PhD last year and have recently completed a part-time contract. I have applied to teach English as a foreign language overseas. Depending on nation, many ask for a three year degree and a clean criminal record. As I am single and the academic market is awful, I think why not. A new country, some teachign experience, and a solid wage with my rent paid. Plus I get to learn the language of my host country.

Perhaps you could do something similar and get up with your music? Perhaps teaching it freelance and writing?

S

I think retraining (yet further education!) is more likely the step forward for me, Chrisrolinski - which, I guess, would entail surrendering my independence and temporarily moving back to the family home *sigh*. I'd need a permanent address to start teaching/writing if I wanted it to last any amount of time - thereby providing enough to pay the bills - I reckon. Also, my confidence is so low now that the thought of teaching a class of people anywhere just fills me with terror! But it sounds great that you're going for TEFL and are seeing all the exciting positives it can offer - well done!