non academic cv-how long?

A

for those of you who might be applying for non-academic jobs [ie not postdocs or lecturing] but nevertheless who want to work in a third level environment, how long is your cv?

Also, while completing this *** PhD I have been a 'jack of all trades' for my department and uni as in, I have invigilated, tutored, given a few guest lectures, hosted practical workshops, manned the desk at uni and dept open days, helped out at conferences, graded undergrad exams, organised fieldtrips for visiting academics etc etc. Any ideas for a good job title?

I have a 2 page non-academic CV - I'm 27, so I've only really got a few research roles and jobs while at uni (as opposed to say, 10 years experience).

I'd say you should go for

Visiting lecturer (including tutoring, organising field trips & open days)
Conference organiser (to promote your events management skills ;-) )

and then to explain the workshops you could either have a section called 'Invited talks & workshops' or 'consultancy' - depending on the audience of the CV.

S

======= Date Modified 04 Aug 2011 09:30:23 =======
Hi Ady, I used to work for the careers service at my old uni. Here's some CV advice.

Assuming you are under about 40 it should be 2 pages. That is two sides total, not two pages double sided. You should be able to fit everything on there. If you absolutely have to (I mean really have to and you've tried every trick including increasing the page margins to avoid it) then use 3, but fill every page. Once you get to late thirties/40 you can have a third page, but even then keep to 2 if you can.

I would suggest a skills based CV in your case, as you have aquired lots of different skills but that may not be apparent from your job title.

A skills based CV tends to run along the lines of:

Skill title (e.g. Project Management)

Examples of skill in action/courses completed in skill

Next skill title (e.g. Team work)

Examples

Next skill etc

I also include a very brief job title history after the skills section with titles and dates and a paragraph about myself with contact details at the very beginning of the CV.

Never ever make the title "CV" or similar. They know it's a CV, make the title your name in large letters.

Just put how many GCSEs/O-Levels/A-Levels etc you got and maybe the A-level grades,

e.g. 10 GCSEs grades A*- C and 3 A-levels (Maths, Physics, Chemistry) A,B,B

Emphasise each aspect that is most important for the job you are applying for, a CV should be job specific as much as the covering letter. If they have harped on about project management in the job spec for example really blitz that section of your CV.

Apologies if you already know all this!

Edit: This is true in the UK. In other countries it can be different. In NZ for example they apparently like massive CVs. I don't know why!

A

Thanks for those ideas Sneaks and Screamingaddabs

Screaming: alas I tipped over the 40 mark 4 years ago :-( and have done the whole uni thing as a mature student. My previous career is in a totally different field so it's tough blending uni and pre-uni work experiences to show how perfect I am for the jobs I want:p. So far I have only gotten short-listed for one interview and it essentially was the same type of job I did before I came to uni, just for far less money!! Makes me wonder what the last 8 years have been all about. Many thanks for your tips; I suppose I did know it but your words have impressed upon me the importance of getting it right. I have printed it out to digest fully later when I rustle up yet another CV. Thanks again.

F

======= Date Modified 04 Aug 2011 11:43:31 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--spam--

F

======= Date Modified 04 Aug 2011 11:43:18 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--spam--