PhD abroad - UK student loan repayments


Hi all,

I am a British citizen currently doing their PhD in Germany and it's that time of the year where student finance want an update on my situation. For the last 2 years I have had to make small repayments on my student loan as I was doing my PhD in The Netherlands where I was never properly registered as a student. Now I have moved my PhD to Germany I have officially enrolled as a student - since I now officially classify as 'in further study' does this mean all I need to submit is my proof of enrolment? I do earn a salary here - but I am confused as to which side of the line I fall down on according to sfe Student or Employee!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Avatar for rewt

I might be wrong but I thought the student loan company only considers taxable income. I don't think I have ever seen an exemption for full-time study. So if your PhD is paying above the threshold and it is taxable, regardless if it is a PhD, you have to start repaying. Unfortunately the repayment system was designed around the UK were most PhD bursarys are tax free but the rest of Europe pays better.